APT support and OC > NC migration

I like my APT for keeping stuff updated, is there a repo for the RC edition? Really looking to switch from ownCloud but the current Jurisic repo only has the NC12.0.0

I was also skeptic leaving my precious APT, but I don’t regret it.

The scripts that the VM are based on are stable, and the update script is kind of rock solid. Try it! :slight_smile:

I currently have owncloud on APT. The key is to be able to install updates along with other crap instead of individually logging into every single thing and updating or checking for updates.

The database update still needs to be done from the updater BUT at least the basic files are updated over APT.

I have to correct you on that. This scripts updates your whole server, including “the other crap” + the database: https://github.com/nextcloud/vm/blob/master/nextcloud_update.sh :wink:

By other crap, I meant my apache, php, apcupsd, kernel, plex, etc

Anyway I pulled the trigger and switched over to the above mentioned manual install. Still having an issue upgrading from OwnCloud 10.0.2

Update to 12.0.1 RC4

Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
Detailed logs
Preparing update
Set log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
The update was unsuccessful. For more information check our forum post covering this issue.

You are not using the script. We don’t upgrade between major versions either, but what you got are from the web updater.

In other words, 10.2 -> 11.0.3 -> 12.0.1RC4. In our script you can set the version and upgrade between major versions. But I can’t guarantee that it works if you’re not running the VM.

Could you please explain to me how I can upgrade from OC10.0.2 to NC. I have another thread where I have been waiting for 30 days exactly to make this switch and jospoortvliet advised that it is now possible with the NC12.0.1RC

Tried the command line ./occ upgrade as well, no go

Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
Set log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Update failed
Maintenance mode is kept active
Reset log level

Yes, it’s quite easy. Upgrade one version at the time.

If you want professional help there is this: https://shop.techandme.se/index.php/product/migrate-from-owncloud-to-nextcloud/

If you think you can manage on your own, there is this: https://nextcloud.com/migration/

I’m not sure where the disconnect is in our communication but I have followed all of those steps and THOSE are the errors I am getting while trying to switch from ownCloud 10.0.2 to NextCloud 12.0.1RC4.

First post states

“Note that these should allow you to upgrade from ownCloud 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 to Nextcloud 12. And if you find a bug in that upgrade (or any other upgrade!) remember: you earn a :tshirt: by reporting the bug!!! We just received new shirts in the office so we’re ready to sent some out :heart_eyes:

That is exactly what I am trying to do, followed all of the exact steps, and it is simply not working as advertised. I am getting errors while trying to upgrade from OC10.0.2 to NC12.0.1RC4

To be honest I never used that method. I use my own scripts.

Basically,

1. Upgrade ownCloud to latest compatible version, 10.0.2 should be fine.
  2. Download Nextcloud and upgrade to 11.0.3 --> 12.0.0 --> 12.0.1RC4

But then again, I scripted it, and my script does a bit more than that.

NC11.0.3 does not allow transition from OC10.0.2

Support for transition from OC10.0.2 was not added until just now in NC12.0.1RC4, that’s why I waited 30 days for it after purchasing the iOS app on multiple accounts and backing everything up to make the merge. I guess just going to have to wait and see what jospoortvliet is going to suggest.

I figured out the issue after reviewing version.php file… for anyone who is updating from OC10.0.2 make an edition in your config to make sure it states

‘version’ => ‘10.0.2.1’,

my OC config file stated version as 10.0.2.0 and therefore it was not compatible. After changing the version number to 10.0.2.1, I was able to successfully merge over to NC12.0.1RC4.

Couple of small bugs worth mentioning:

Spelling on “Tips and ticks” and linking to the owncloud manual instead of nextcloud.

For those using cron jobs, make sure you edit your cron if you are now using /nextcloud/ instead of /owncloud/ as your main directory.

btw I fixed the spelling issue. Can’t find the other one - that doesn’t seem to be there at all.

The URL is build from the theme. Could you check if you applied a theme? And the “data” directory error in the setup warnings is weird. How does your setup look like? Is the cron job executed via the CLI? And was this job run under the web server user?

It can’t be any files left over from OC because I didn’t mix anything. Could it be anything in the MySQL database?

When I installed NC, I downloaded the package and extracted it into a NextCloud directory, I then cp the config over, edited the storage directories and link locations to respectively be “/nextcloud”. The only thing that still has “ownCloud” in the config is the database name which I’m going to change as well (OCDs lol).

I manually created the data folder to make the error go away, even though all of my NextCloud directories and subdirectories were chown’d to www-data for user and group prior and still displayed that error. Then I changed over the cron job, but I mentioned that already. Currently there are 0 errors displayed but if you want, I can delete the data directory and dig around and see if I can find the source for where that link is coming from on my end.

The cron job was my mistake, it was still linked to execute via cli from the /owncloud/ directory. I changed that over and the error cleared up, figured it was worth mentioning for those who make the switch, use cron, and use NC in a new directory upon installation.

Theming, only a couple of words changed in the title and the link from the setting in the admin panel.

So I deleted the data folder and restarted apache, admin panel does not produce the above mentioned error and nor is it creating a data folder on it’s own. I’m not sure how to reproduce the error. Was worth a try.

appears that $urlGenerator->linkToDocs(‘admin-dir_permissions’) generated a link to owncloud docs