Appstore not connecting - URL Error 28

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Running via Unraid OS (via Docker)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.19

The issue you are facing:
For some reason, the appstore is not loading. When I click the Apps menu as Admin, the menu on the left shows “Your Apps”, “Active Apps”,…“Featured Apps”, “Developer Documentation”; however, there is no where to show the downloadable apps from the “community” or appstore. The only apps showing are those preset into Nextcloud install. This is a newer issue (the last couple months) as I know I’ve added apps in the past. This is a self hosted Nextcloud server I run via Unraid and use Cloudflare to manage domain (not sure if that’s relevant).

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Warning appstoreFetcher Could not connect to appstore: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 60000 milliseconds (see libcurl - Error Codes) for https://apps.nextcloud.com/api/v1/apps.json
2023-05-24T12:27:17-0400
Warning appstoreFetcher Could not connect to appstore: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 60000 milliseconds (see link) for [json link shortened for posting]
2023-05-24T12:05:31-0400
Warning appstoreFetcher Could not connect to appstore: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 60001 milliseconds (see link) for [json link shortened for posting]
2023-05-24T12:05:20-0400
Warning appstoreFetcher Could not connect to appstore: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 60001 milliseconds (see see link) for [json link shortened for posting]
2023-05-24T12:05:03-0400

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:
2023/05/24 12:03:21 [error] 553#553: 8086 upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream, client: XXX.XX.XXX, server: nextcloud., request: “GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications HTTP/2.0”, upstream: “https://XXX.XX.XXX:444/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications”, host: “NEXTCLOUD DOMAIN HERE”

Note that I’ve tried some things including setting some CLI setting from 120 to a larger number in a config file. Can’t seem to get this to work though.

It looks like you’re running an NGINX reverse proxy (based on the last set of logs).

That entry may be a related symptom since Nextcloud container also seems to be having problems getting out and is likely pushing up against timeouts on the proxy.

Unfortunately, however, this is a relatively generic error in itself so there are a lot of possibilities.

Please verify outbound connectivity and DNS from within the Nextcloud container.

In theory you should be able to go back through your lots to identify the oldest entry that looks like that. This would give you a definite time of start which may help you pinpoint what else changed around that time period.

It could be firewall related, for example.

Apologies for my follow up but how would I verify outbound connectivity and DNS within the container? I am not a big network/programmer and just doing this as a pet project with the home server. Also, I can confirm I am running an NGINX reverse proxy. I have it set up through Cloudflare. I did set up my domain/reverse proxy in January I believe which could be when the problem started. I don’t have a record of when it officially became an issue because I don’t check the apps often.

The problem has persisted awhile but now it’s becoming a problem. I want to set up Collabora or something similar (as well as some other apps) but with no access, it’s causing problems. I am not sure I could filter through months of logs to see but could give it a shot.

Also, I don’t think I have any firewalls on the server however, could see it being a problem with my Unifi Dream Machine (I use their IDS). I

To further expand, I did go in through the console of the docker and was able to ping. I assume this confirms outbound network connectivity:

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=116 time=16.215 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=116 time=17.389 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=116 time=16.721 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=116 time=17.634 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 16.215/16.989/17.634 ms

I also ran: nslookup google.com and it seems to be fine as well: