Android App 2.0.0 RC5 released

come on, jasonā€¦ thereā€™s light at the end of the tunnel ā€¦ (whistling ā€œthereā€™s a light over at the frankā€™nā€™stein-houseā€)

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m being harsh, but then a portion of the community has had to sit on their thumbs with no backups or device based app-cloud access for a week soā€¦ :sweat:

Arguably brings in the typical ā€œyouā€™re welcome to contribute to fix it fasterā€ statement, but I canā€™t do thatā€¦ so instead focused on topics that come up about it for the last week

this portion should exactly know what it means to work with a betaā€¦ itā€™s not meant to be used in a ā€œproductiveā€ environment. :wink:

Shhhh, donā€™t bring logic into thisā€¦ besides itā€™s an RC :stuck_out_tongue: (and 1.4.3 has SO many more issues for me with uploads, so stuck between a rock and a hard place)

i was simply in sheer despair about 1.4.3. not working at all for me so that i switched to the rc (of course, if microsoft, apple or whoelse is releasing an rc that might mean something, but over here? rc for me would translate as: ā€œsomehow stable betaā€ā€¦ :star_struck:)

and my expectations on a working app are quite small: i just want to get my pix uploaded. nutting more- but nutting less, as well. and i know that other ppl have different expectations and needs. so this is clearā€¦ ^^

1 Like

Weā€™re closing in on RC3 with quite some changesā€¦ just 3 more PRs to be merged :rocket:

Are you saying you donā€™t expect the same high standards as other industry leaders? How very dare you :stuck_out_tongue:
But seriously, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a perception we should give off - an RC should be 98% stable, last minute call for bugs that the general public (who wouldnā€™t have touched a dev/beta) will stumble across.

:fire::fireworks::rocket:

1 Like

:see_no_evil::speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::grin: it wasnā€™t me :grin:

i agree. and would like to go even farther: RC should be 99,5% stable. but itā€™s always up to the devs how to call their versions. plus: i rather like to test a bit more and longer than the other way round.

1 Like

Tag has been made, @tobiasKaminsky built the release and it has been uploaded to Google Play so it should show up within the next couple of hours :rocket:

As for your percentage discussion, here are the apps ā€œhard factsā€ from Google Play:

ANR-free daily sessions
99.5%

Crash-free daily sessions
98.3%

So it is quite stable but if you didnā€™t nicely updated from 1.4.3 to 2.0.0-rc but installed anything else in between like off-the-grid-test-builds then your database may have been corrupted versioning-wise (which is what we saw in reports). Issue we actually did have is that there was also an error in the db ugrade logic which prevented a clean, fresh installation of 2.0.0RC2 (which is basically the problem since this prevents having a workaround without a new release).

Other issue for sure is that we are currently short staffed as in Mario in vacation and me being swamped at my day job (deputing for other people being on vacation). So one could argue that we shouldnā€™t have released any RCs. While on the other hand we wouldnā€™t have found most of the issues that have been reported via Google Playā€™s error reporting except for the DB errors.

So I am truly Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you :crying_cat_face: but I hope RC3 will work for you :heart:

Published and available according to Google Play :tada:

DOWNLOADING :smiley:

:grin: sweet, please let us (especially Tobias since he is on duty) know if the release works for you :thermometer:

hey andy,

for me it is and was all good. no pressure to you guys. i really appreciate your work.
we donā€™t need to discuss percentages as for me ā€œRCā€ means ā€œbeta, stillā€.

so please donā€™t waste too much time writing things in here but put your effort elsewhere :wink:

btw: i did an update directly from 1.4.3. to 2.0.0. rc2. with the problems mentioned above (yes, i do run nc 12.0.2)ā€¦ thanks for taking them serious.

rock on
jim

1 Like

cc @tobiasKaminsky

I can now hit the ā€œenterā€ key after putting in the server URL

BUT

Instacrash again as soon as permissions are requested. Iā€™ll get logcat shortly.

Ok more feedback:

Iā€™ve seen ā€œapp terminatedā€ a few times today, far more than on the previous dev builds. Has something changed? Itā€™s killing my large video uploads.

@tobiasKaminsky @Andy

One more bit of feedbackā€¦ Iā€™m not sure where itā€™s finding these images, however Iā€™m pretty sure I donā€™t have 1800+ not already backed up and itā€™s overwriting rather than duplicating if it is indeed re-uploading files.

I let the first 1+ thousand upload a few days ago, so this makes 2800+ itā€™s found to be needing an upload.

@andy @tobiasKaminsky @mario

Edit - did a rough count, about 1800 pictures all together on the SD card so it is literally duplicating it all.

Then, when I try to open said uploaded image to have a look, NC randomly crashes

Not that I know of, cc @tobiasKaminsky @mario

@tobiasKaminsky @mario we also had feedback from another user via the beta programm stating that image folders are shown duplicated in the Auto upload screen which imho shouldnā€™t be the case. Only thing I can think of is depending on the storage location(s) used by the app (internal, external) in combination with the upload behavior there might be another folder with all these imagesā€¦

@tobiasKaminsky @mario I have no clue about this one and would need a stack trace / log to get an idea what happens :confused:

Sorry folks, not around for this one, and you should investigateā€¦

The only two reasons for ā€œduplicateā€ uploads I can imagine:

• duplicate synced folders saved
  • something changed timestamp of all the photos

If itā€™s indeed the first, it needs to be fixed. Second sounds very unlikely as I donā€™t know who/what would do that.

As for video upload crash, well ā€¦ dunno? All my tests with the initial APK worked, so Andy, please look into itā€¦

for the first time auto-upload somehow works for me with rc3. yay!

butā€¦ auto-uploading often fails and needs to be restarted. is thus because of screensaver turning on?
further on i still canā€™t edit my profile, myself. plus: i canā€™t even delete it.
and still open as well - deleting a pic from mobile phone doesnā€™t delete it from NC