An administrator removed you from group

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 22.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.2

The issue you are facing:
After upgrading from 27 to 28, LDAP users are receiving the following email, repeatedly, every few hours:

An administrator removed you from group Cloud users

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? Y

I use LDAP for authentication. The Nextcloud users are in a group called “Cloud users”.

(&(|(objectclass=person))(|(|(memberof=CN=Cloud users,OU=Aquila Technology,DC=Aquila,DC=local)(primaryGroupID=5747))))

This worked for years, until last night when I updated the server to 28. Immediately every user started receiving email saying they have been removed from group Cloud Users. But they have not, LDAP continues to work. In fact, the LDAP/AD settings have not been changed in years.

Please help me start troubleshooting?

sounds like group provisioning is going wrong. when you state

does this mean they receive this mail multiple times? or only once per user?

my LDAP knowledge is little rusty but the filter looks weird for me

my little formatted view

(&
(|(objectclass=person))
(|(|(memberof=CN=Cloud users,OU=Aquila Technology,DC=Aquila,DC=local)(primaryGroupID=5747)))
)

if I gt it right using it translates into: every person AND (member of the group cloud users OR member of primary group 5747). If I’m not wrong there is at least one useless '(|' in front of both relevant statements (and matching ')' at the end)… given I read the filter right removing users with primary group 5747 but not member in the group “cloud users” would be valid… maybe the config was different before?

I assure you there is nothing wrong with the config. That is simply a filter used to test the LDAP.

I should have posted this instead, so not to be so confusing.
(&(|(objectclass=group))(|(cn=Cloud users)))

Again, that configuration hasn’t changed in maybe 10 years. What did change was going from Nextcloud 27 to 28.

Another point I forgot to mention is, I’m using LDAP user and group backend, 1.19.0, by Dominik Schmidt, Arthur Schiwon

Well crap. I got so many complaints that I had to restore a backup back to version 27.

I just found this issue. So, the problem is not me.

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/42195

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.