Always prefer latest versions of the files?

Is that possible to to prefer not server or local version, but simply LATEST file versions?

Use case:
CGI production. Shot is a sequence of JPGs (70-600 files per shot) Every shot goes through iterations constantly overriding older version with new version, because through these sequences it’s connected to editing software, no need to store every single version, it will be a lot of garbage and a hustle to relink it every time to editing.

I don’t understand how server’s version or local version should be more authoritative than the other, it doesn’t make any sense.

If many people are working on the same shot, it shouldn’t be a problem to keep LATEST version. If there’s an issue with overriding, it is managing issue, it shouldn’t be resolved by sync software.

Now, when I’m rewriting sequences, Nextcloud asks me about these conflicts, which makes it unusable. Dropbox resolving this correctly with latest being more authoritative.

Can I tweak something to AUTOMATICALLY prefer latest versions of the files?

The latest copy is the one that gets synced. However it sounds like you have people editing the same file and then trying to sync it, which creates a conflict.

Say you have a picture and two people both open it in GIMP. They both save it within 10 sec. The one who saved their in-editor copy last would have the latest date and would therefore overwrite (wipe out) the version the other person just saved. If not for the conflict detection, one person’s work would simply be lost. Same as would happen on any kind of network file share.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification, Karl. I was the only user editing files for now, something created lots of conflicts, good to hear that expected behavior is implemented. I’ll try to figure out “what not to do” then in my scenario.

That’s not what you described above (“many people are working on the same shot”), so I’m not sure what to tell you. A conflict occurs when there are simultaneous edits of the same file.

Yes, you’re right, I’m searching for a scalable workflow to work with many people, but right now I’m testing it on my own. I hope I’m not stuck with dropbox (which is working predictable and correctly throughout the years, but has cons).

Current problem:

I’m saving sequence of files (e.g. 150-800 individual files) and while working need to override them several times, NOT AT THE SAME TIME, it is iterative process: write cache → look → adjust parameters → rewrite to the same files → repeat, until satisfied.

And currently rewriting always creates conflicts that need to be resolved by user one by one, making nextcloud unusable to the point I have to move the current project back to dropbox, which handles this process perfectly.

I might be doing something unexpected for nextcloud, I’d love to figure it out.
Setup I’m trying to build: every individual project has its own s3 bucket, mounted inside of the folder structure created in nextcloud, which is a very exciting and unique possibility.

Is that possible to achieve expected behaviour (iterative rewriting of files without creating conflicts)? Maybe it’s a matter of configuration? What can I try?

Okay so what I can tell you is that you can save and overwrite a file and it should not create a conflict. It should just update the file. So there is something odd going on with your particular setup.

I’m not sure where to begin looking for it. Maybe something with the file system or an external storage mount if you’re using one. Maybe you could start with providing some details about your setup, fill out the support post template, etc.

Hey you all,

I am new to the Nextcloud Club and I set up everything as follows:
One Nextcloud Server
One Windows 11 PC
One Debian Machine
One Android Tablet
One Android Phone

When I change something directly on the server, it works like a charme and overwrites the existing file on all of the devices. I am using Obsidian for Notetaking, and it just updates the content.
When I change something on the PC it also works. The only problem it has is with files updating from the android devices. Then I have to go and choose manually, which version I want to keep.
I am sure there is a way to resolve this automatically.
I will dig a bit around, maybe I find something in the configuration!

I just found this thread here: Always prefer local version (push only)

@fschober Please open your own thread and fill out the support template.

Excuse me for posting this here, I was going to - but I found that it would be a duplicate thread after all since the issue seems the same? Why not gather everything here?

The client apps needs to be configured to your likings. Example:

In the iOS and Android apps there is a setting to sync only when on WIFI. Nextcloud has a conflict management setting as well. For a file to be the same on all devices, it goes through this journey:

1: Created/changed on device A.
2: Device A client app syncs the file to the Nextcloud server when it is allowed (on wifi or box ticked for allowing sync on mobile broadband).
3: If Nextcliud High Performance Backend is configured, all other device clients are notified emmediatly, and if the local device app settings are configured accordingly, syncs the file to the devices. If not, then each client periodically checks in to see if there is new things to sync.

So not only can it either be very fast and almost instantly on all devices, it can also take a long time dependant on the circumstances.

Thank your for your detailed Reply!

Well, actually I tested this a few times now, and everytime I modify an existing file on my android-device, it will stay on my phone with a little red badge, indicating that it got some problems. I then have to tap on it and choose which version I want to keep. Then I have to go on the server, and do the same within the Nextcloud Web-Interface. And when I create a new file, e.g. a Markdown File in Obsidian, it won’t get picked up at all, unless I specifically upload that file via the Nextcloud-Client, and then download it again.

This Article summs up pretty much everything one can do with the mobile app.

Maybe I am missing a way to configure the mobile clients?

I use Obsidian with Chromebook. Instead of using the client app, I have added Nextcloud as a WebDAV mount. However I do not seem to have the same issues as you have with the client apps. I cannot recreate the issue.

So when you modify a file on your phone, which was created on the server or on your chromebook, it automatically gets uploaded and overwrites the old version?

Yes. But if “conflicts” of versions, it will ask you which to keep. You can then choose “always use this option” and never have to deal with it again.

Ok, now we are getting closer to the core of the problem. I never had the “always use this optiion” check - this is why it keeps coming back. Attached you find two screenshots, one from my phone, one from the server. It is in german, but I think you can see that there is no check.

There is an experimental option for the clients. Read this:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/latest/conflicts.html

Besides this I am using the iOS client, so I cannot recreate your issue (sorry).

Yeah, thank you for your time btw!

I am already familiar with this section and I changed the env-variable on my Server (Debian 11), but it didn’t do much of a difference.

For anyone reading this in the future, I just bumped a thread on Github.

The problem is, that the mobile clients always seem to have a conflict when you change an existing file - because it naturally differs from the version on the server.