After updating to version 29RC3, the maps application does not work and causes 500 server error

After updating to version 29RC3, the maps application is not working and causes a 500 server error. I had to disable it from the console
sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable maps for nextcloud to run at all.

The log just says this
FastCGI sent in stderr: “PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare OCA\Maps\Controller\remove_utf8_bom() (previously declared in /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/maps/lib/Controller/TracksController.php:44) in /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/maps/lib/Controller/PublicTracksController. php on line 56” while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.93, server: kaha.site, request: “GET /nextcloud/apps/dashboard/ HTTP/2.0”, upstream: “fastcgi://unix://run/php/php8.3-fpm.sock:”,

OS debian 12
PHP 8.3 FPM over NGINX
DB PostGreSQL

This version was not yet released, and there is a list of apps that are still missing NC 29 support. The maps app is part of that list, and someone already notified the developers:

Apologies for grave-digging, but my package manager updated NextCloud to 29.0.2 (which I believe has been officially released by this point) and hit this exact error.

500 error on the server, verbatim issue in the log. I too had to disable the maps plugin to pass the 500 error.

Interestingly after disabling maps, I was prompted to finish the update to Nextcloud 29.0.2, which ran successfully. So system updates, then Nextcloud updates … I then see that there is an update pending within the now updated Nextcloud to maps 1.4.0 from 1.3.1 …

So, maybe everything works in the end, but it seems you will get stuck at an unusable Nextcloud instance (500 error) if you let Nextcloud update itself rather than manually updating maps first. Hopefully this saves someone time, as this is the first google hit for the exact error message…

Hello,
I too went through the same procedure. Stuck updating, turning off the Maps app, completing the update and updating the Maps app to version 1.4.
The problem is that for one user the Maps application displays everything, but for another it displays nothing. It will probably be saved content.