Affordable Nextcloud Provider | Hetzner.com

Never said that RAID replaces a backup. I suggested to backup the locally synced files. Cause that can be managed with an easy to use desktop application.

I do think that Hetzner will have some form of backup, cause they don’t want to lose all customer data if something bad happens (bad for reputation…). But their backup would be restored without control of the user. e.g. to the state of 12h ago or so (so no proper backup from user side of course).

I totally get your point. These are my concerns as well, but I thought that somehow a transparent “zero knowledge” encryption in which only the user holds the encryption key was possible - I now assume it is not and there is always the aspect of trust. But given that you always have to trust the provider anyway, what is the point of server-side encryption? And are there really no Nextcloud providers which offer a setup in which only the user knows the encryption key (it should be technically possible)?

Also, hosting your own server is an non-practical solution for many. For obvious reasons, such as technical knowledge, costs but also security and the environment if I am not mistaken. If you are not an expert, it is generally safer to trust a good company and not mess with your own server, right?

It seems that they fixed the cron job issue, so it is no longer in the overview, but it was listed above the current warning about php before. So I was just saying I don’t have recourse to change the PHP version (or remedy the cron job issue as I did self-hosting) because they manage that bit.

So I was curious to know if you had anything in the Admin Overview section because I feared some providers may just plop up the software as-is without doing any troubleshooting to make sure it would run smoothly.

Why do not you use end-to-end encryption of Nextcloud?

I think the most Fully Managed Nextcloud Hoster support this feature!

1 Like

It should normally show a message when the cronjob ran for the last time. They could have removed this part from the code as well, so you don’t know if they really fixed it.

1 Like

I would not recommend to use E2E app.

As the developers also say: It’s in Alpha status and you shouldn’t use it productive! - I made some tests and can agree this totally.

I’m also searching for a hosted NC solution where you can be sure for 100% that only you have the decryption key for your hosted data, @maniacmindhunter

1 Like

Unfortunately, only E2E encryption is secure in this point. Server-side encryption is just a large source of problems without providing real protection (it was designed for external storage). If you don’t want to use Nextcloud’s E2E yet, there are also VeraCrypt containers, Cryptomator, …

A bit OT, but is it actually possible to enable it just for external storages?

Should be, I think they even made it optional on which external storages you want to enable it.

You get what you pay for …

Data loss …

FYI: I´m not the Twitter User Fusl, I only found it on twitter.

2 posts were split to a new topic: List of hosting providers outdated

This topic was automatically opened after 13 days.

I think the cheapest option by far would be:

• self hosted with Ubuntu Linux
  • Hetzner Cloud
  • Hetzner Storage Box

I am currently setting up such a thing myself. I googled a lot and read different Tutorials that were all a bit outdated. I found that this blogpost describes exactly how to do it. I am not very familiar with Linux, but literally all commands are in this blog post and you just have to copy paste them. Its very very detailed. Hope it helps you.

in the meanwhile I’d be more careful about where to host my data.
Hetzner is too wellknown to be the cheapest provider. So be sure there are cheaper ones. But are they better?
Or: is hetzner any good at all?

As I said: I’d be careful and wouldn’t suggest any provider unless I’d know about the needs and goals of the person looking for a provider.

My hoster:

Greeting
JK

I only use their VPSs from time to time, so I don’t have any long-term experience with them, nor any experience with Hetzner Storage Share (their managed Nextcloud service). But in general Hetzner is a reputable company and I think it’s perfectly fine to use their services.

@all:

Regardless of which provider you use, always remember that the cloud is just someone else’s computer and things can go wrong, even with large cloud providers.

Fortunately, there’s a well-established concept that will protect you from loosing your important data, known as the 3-2-1 backup rule:

“Have three copies of your data, on two different media, one of which is stored away from your primary location”.

Now, you may not need to take the “two different media” part quite so literally, especially if you are a home user, but you should probably do the “three copies” part and you definitely should to do the “different location” part.

So if you’re using a cloud provider, the other location could be another cloud provider, or you could, and I strongly recommend you do so, keep a local backup of your data. Obviously, the local synchronisation folder of the Nextcloud desktop client doesn’t count, because another rule says that synchronisation is not a backup.

1 Like

I have been hosting small things with Hetzner since more than 15 years. I was there before there was “cloud” and when things still ran on KVM hosted “vservers”.

Hetzner is not only the cheapest but also the most professional german hoster I know. They don’t sell “cloud” nonsense like appliances that are overpriced, don’t have any vendor lock-in, support is EXCELLENT, you always get somebody who really knows their stuff, you get a replacement for broken SSDs/HDDs in less than an hour, they are the only german hoster that has a proper rescue system (a debian based live linux you can book with two clicks that has all the tools you need).

If the person needs a hosting provider that is not overpriced and has the best quality service on the german market its safe to recommend Hetzner.

I am a Hetzner customer for some 20 years, had racks with own servers there, were at their datacenters several times. They were always reliable.

I use their “cloud” options (small 3eur/month virtual servers, one per service) for 5+ years now, and they worked with zero problems. I could also use the snapshots often to roll back after upgrading problems, always worked perfectly.
They even keep the low price I paid 5 years ago, don’t increase existing servers prices when the prices for new ones increase.

I have no idea if they are “the cheapest”. I can only say that I trust them, and I trust them for sure more than any US providers (AWS, Google, Microsoft and many others).