Advice on user and folder permissions

Hey guys,

can you help me out with advice on how to set-up a few permissions in my case (Nextcloud Hub 26 Spring (34.0.4))?

My wife and I have a shared hosted NC (so limited access to server). We have various main folders in there that need some organizing:

  • Folder work (wife)
  • Folder private (wife)
  • Folder private (me)
  • Folder common (both of us)

Currently 3 PCs in total have access and sync everything everywhere.

  • wife’s business laptop
  • wife’s private laptop
  • my computer

I’d like to set things up the way that my wife’s business laptop has access to the work folder only.

Her private laptop should have access to all folders.

My computer should also access all folders (as I do extra backups automatically).

What is your best idea on setting users, permissions etc.?

Should I go with groupfolders and 3 different users/persmissions or do you have any other ideas?

Plus, I’d also like to sync our phone photos the same way as our personal computers. I.e. wife’s phone’s images → into her private folder, mine → mine private folder.

Thanks!

First of all create an account for you and your wife. Your wife may use two different accounts for work and private use which avoids accidentally mixing files for private and professional use.

Then install group folders (it is just a Nextcloud feature, which should be available on a shared NC host as well - if not, ask the hoster, should not be a big deal) and define a group for the both of you where you can share your common stuff.

Everything else can stay on your own accounts folders and will be synced using the desktop client using the respective accounts.

Accounts:

  1. Andrew0s wife business
  2. Andrew0s wife personal
  3. Andrew0 personal

Groups with a folder:

  1. Family (Andrew0 + Andrew0s wife)

Clients:

  1. Wife’s business laptop → using Nextcloud account “Andrew0s Wife business”
  2. Wife’s private laptop → using Nextcloud account “Andrew0ss Wife personal”
  3. Your computer → using Nextcloud account “Andrew0 personal”