Advanced permissions: deny the ability to move a folder/file?

Hi everyone,

I have a need for advanced permissions for one of my servers => deny the ability for a user/group of users to move a file/folder anywhere other than its home location. I’ve had a look at the File Access Control plugin, and Group Folder but it doesn’t seem to be possible. Has anyone ever had a case like this ? Or the will to do so ? :slight_smile:

Have a nice day !

Technically speaking a move of a file/folder is the same as renaming it. If your users have the rights to edit a file or folder then they can also move it to a location where they have also write access. Unfortunately there is not an option within Nextcloud to prevent moves only. I would love to have this option too because it’s such a mess when someone accidentally moves a top-folder to another location :see_no_evil:

Hello,

Yes, I have this kind of cases too, where users move by mistake big data folders to another place in the tree. And inevitably it’s the same folder every time, and the heaviest one. I’ll see if there’s a way to do something with specific permissions directly from the server :slight_smile:

i got the same problem and tested many different things (NC 27.1.2),
after i got deeper in NC i build a simple solution,

you can look at another thread concerning the problem: shared-disable-move-copy-option

if it is still needed, just let me know it - some feedback would be nice - thx

1 Like

Thanks @GoWeasel , amazing PR.