Add a lot of files on the same hard drive?

I set up nextcloud on an external hard drive connected to a raspberry pi. I have a lot of files (200GB worth) on the hard drive that I want to upload to nextcloud. I tried moving some files into a files/ directory of one of my users, but they didn’t show up on the nextcloud web UI.

How should I do this? I could mount webdav and upload all of them there but that might take a while.

There is no need to upload the files if the external storage has correctly been mounted and is accessible by Nextcloud. The only thing you need to do is, to make Nextcloud aware of the files by using the occ command line tool, like e.g.

> ./occ files:scan --help
Description:
  rescan filesystem

Usage:
  files:scan [options] [--] [<user_id>...]

Arguments:
  user_id                will rescan all files of the given user(s)

Options:
      --output[=OUTPUT]  Output format (plain, json or json_pretty, default is plain) [default: "plain"]
  -p, --path=PATH        limit rescan to this path, eg. --path="/alice/files/Music", the user_id is determined by the path and the user_id parameter and --all are ignored
      --all              will rescan all files of all known users
      --unscanned        only scan files which are marked as not fully scanned
      --shallow          do not scan folders recursively
      --home-only        only scan the home storage, ignoring any mounted external storage or share
  -h, --help             Display this help message
  -q, --quiet            Do not output any message
  -V, --version          Display this application version
      --ansi             Force ANSI output
      --no-ansi          Disable ANSI output
  -n, --no-interaction   Do not ask any interactive question
      --no-warnings      Skip global warnings, show command output only
  -v|vv|vvv, --verbose   Increase the verbosity of messages: 1 for normal output, 2 for more verbose output and 3 for debug