AbstractMySQLDriver Error

Hey,

I’m new to nextcloud and I just set up a homeserver running nextcloud.
After logging in to nextcloud it was suggested to adjust some mysql settings accroding to this guide:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/configuration_database/mysql_4byte_support.html

After finishing it, I saw some errors, which I expect to have been the same I’m facing now.

Reason for me to run the command
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/html/nextcloud/occ files:scan --all
was, that I have files shown in my connected external storage within nextcloud, but they don’t show up in my console, when i would like to see a list with ls command. I first saw this issue while accessing that folder on Windows 10 in my home network and the files didnt show up.

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 15.0.7
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): 18.04.2 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.29
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.2

The issue you are facing:

In AbstractMySQLDriver.php line 115:

An exception occurred while executing 'SELECT `uid`, `displayname` FROM `oc_users` `u` LEFT JOIN `oc_preferences` `
  p` ON (`userid` = `uid`) AND (`appid` = 'settings') AND (`configkey` = 'email') WHERE (`uid`  COLLATE utf8mb4_gener
  al_ci LIKE ?) OR (`displayname`  COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?) OR (`configvalue`  COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci L
  IKE ?) ORDER BY `uid_lower` ASC' with params ["%%", "%%", "%%"]:

SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1253 COLLATION 'utf8mb4_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER S
  ET 'utf8'

In PDOStatement.php line 107:

SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1253 COLLATION 'utf8mb4_general_ci' is not valid for CHARACTER S
  ET 'utf8'

In PDOStatement.php line 105:

ET 'utf8'

files:scan [--output [OUTPUT]] [-p|--path PATH] [--all] [--unscanned] [--shallow] [--home-only] [--] [<user_id>]...

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much

I think this question has been asked and answered in the past several times, so that I would expect that you will find a solution for your problem here.

Thank you very much. I did not find these answers first hand, but I’m pretty sure that’s something between my ears :slight_smile:
I will try the proposed solutions.