About the ℹ️ Support category

Support on configuring and using Nextcloud after it is up and running. For installation questions, use the install category.

3 Likes

Hi, I really hope I’m in the right place for this, if not maybe you could point me in the right direction.
I am trying to use Nextcloud as a simple home file server. I did some research and this seemed to be a good choice, for a beginner like me.

I have a windows 10 laptop running Docker desktop, within that I have the Nextcloud container running.
So far this seems to work. I can access my nextcloud account via my browser using localhost:8080.
Up it comes, I log-in and there are the nextcloud folders.

But, when I try to access nextcloud from another laptop on the same LAN , i get the following message “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080.”
I’ve tried with chrome and the same result.

I have no VPN software on any of the laptops and I’ve turned off the firewall on the hosting Laptop but still no success.

I’m sure there is something I have yet to set or adjusted or something I am missing but just can’t see it.

Can anyone please tell me what I’m missing or need to do ?
Any help, much appreciated. Thanks.

you should have created new post and not reply to the old post regarding the support topic…

your problem relates to the fact localhost is always exactly the same system - when you try to connect to application (Nextcloud) running on pc1 from pc2 you need to use pc1:8080 or pc1.local:8080 - the only place where localhost:8080 work is pc1! the other part of the problem is the application needs to know it’s hostname, in other words you need to tell Nextcloud it runs on pc1.local:8080 (search reverse proxy and overwritehost and overwrite.cli.url)… and next one - you should look for valid public DNS name and get TLS certificate (free one from letencrypt is fine - tons of tutorials exist for docker and Nextcloud with TLS)

In general it’s not a good idea to run server application on a client, there are lot of issues e.g. powersave… it’s fine to perform few basic tests but please switch to some “always-on” device even RasPi or NAS before you start using your installation “really”.

Thank you very much for your reply and the help contained within. I’ll follow this up immediately. It sounds obvious when you describe it but being new to this you expect things will work almost automatically. My Mistake.
You are absolutely right, this is not in any way a long term plan or solution just a way for me to dip my toe in the waters and see if I can get things up & running.
Thanks again !

Hi!

Not sure if I’m in the right place either, so would love if someone could give me a steer.

I’m experiencing a couple glitches with Nextcloud The first is that when I try to attach a link to a word in an email, the link option keeps shutting and won’t accept a link pasted into it.

The second is that having written a signature in my account settings, it is not showing up when I send emails.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix these?

Many thanks!

Will