3 reasons to upgrade your ownCloud instance to Nextcloud and how easy it is

Hmm the migration page still sais:

Note that ownCloud 10.0.1 can not yet be migrated to Nextcloud 12, we are still testing this upgrade path to make sure it is 100% reliable!

So I guess nothing changed about that so far. But I would also see some priority in that since an easy safe migration is still the one of the most important thing bringing people to use Nextcloud. I wonder what the reasons are that this take so long or if it is already solved for coming minor release. I will have a look at github.

The minor release of NC 12.0.1 is a bit delayed, so probably all other milestones are delayed as well. If you are not already on NC 12, I would wait for this minor release. If you need to get away from ownCloud urgently, you still need a bit of manual work, in many cases it should be acceptable to wait another 1-2 weeks.
Here is the migration bug report on github:

Nextcloud 12.0.1RC4 - HELP TEST! -> Nextcloud 12.0.1RC4 supports upgrading from oC 10.0.1 and 10.0.2, I tested it and we can use some more testing help!

It should be out in a few days, provided no issues are found.

Today I migrated from OC 10.0.2 to NC 12.0.1 in a testing environment with success. I had dared to do so, because the annoucement of NC 12.0.1 promised to have fixed the migration issue.

Please note:
I have not been able to use the migration tool, since it still said, that there was no upgrade path from OC 10.0.2 to NC 12. So I took the manual way of migrating as decribed above.

Is now an upgrade path from 10.0.3 available?

There hasn’t been a new version since the end of September, so probably not yet. NC 13 should probably work (expected end of this year). If you can set up a test system, it would be great to run some tests with the beta version: 85% faster LDAP, 10x read/write speed of Windows Network Drive: Welcome to Nextcloud 13 Beta but don’t use this in production yet.

I am very confused!
I’m trying to migrate from ownCloud 10.0.3.3 to Nextcloud 12.0.4 but get the error:
Current version is 10.0.3.
Could not determine migration path to Nextcloud.

I have been waiting for Nextcloud 12.0.4 as I understood this would support migration from ownCloud 10.0.3.
Am I wrong or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Cliff

1 Like

I’m exactly in the same situation (owncloud 10.0.3.3), I have been waiting for the newer version during 3 months, I had understood on some forums that we must wait for the 12.0.4…

The file I have uploaded from this link for the migration seems to be not up to date : https://download.nextcloud.com/server/installer/migrator/index.php

Is it the case ?

2 Likes

There still seems to be a bug somewhere, ref:

1 Like

Hi,
Is there any progress on this? I’m stuck in limbo at the moment - I want to migrate to Nextcloud but can’t because the migration script doesn’t work, and I don’t want to upgrade my ownCloud instance because migration from ownCloud 10.0.4 to Nextcloud doesn’t seem to be supported.
Thanks,
Cliff

1 Like

I am not sure if a manual upgrade could work. Make a backup before, then:

• delete all files, except data/ and config/-folder
  • get code of NC 12.0.4 from owncloud.com/changelog and extract the code
  • fix permissions (if required)
  • run occ upgrade command via terminal (if possible)

If you are lucky it just works.

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not comfortable with ‘not sure if… could work’ and 'If you are lucky it just works." I would rather wait for this problem to be fixed.
Thanks.

1 Like

I said luckily because I haven’t seen any feedback on the upgrade process itself. But the issue you are running into is just that the migration path is not detected correctly. The manual upgrade is probably working quite good, and with a complete backup the risk should be manageable. But it is ok to wait for the issue to be fixed.

1 Like

We wait …
For active production system is restoring a backup …

1 Like

Thanks tflidd, i understand, and will wait for a solution.

1 Like

I did like suggested and it worked flawless.
I have it running on a VM so i was able to snapshot it before - but i was not forced to switch back.

1 Like

Sorry to keep pressing but is anyone looking at this problem? I really do want to migrate to Nextcloud.
Cliff

1 Like

If you’re using sqlite as your data store, you can make a complete and re-usable backup by copying your owncloud directory to a backup directory with cp -r owncloud owncloud-10 – if the upgrade process described at “3 reasons to upgrade your ownCloud instance to Nextcloud and how easy it is - #31 by tflidd” fails, you can restore your backup easily with mv owncloud nextcloud-12; mv owncloud-10 owncloud. (you could also just delete owncloud and move owncloud-10 back into it’s place but I’m superstitious so I don’t delete until I know I didn’t scramble the commands and delete the thing I need.

If you’re not running sqlite there are definitely instructions on how to backup your database and then restore from the backup.

I’m not running sqlite.

If you do want help figuring out how to ensure that you’ll be able to restore your work OwnCloud instance from a back up if the migration fails, you probably need to provide more detail about what you are running.