3 reasons to upgrade your ownCloud instance to Nextcloud and how easy it is

I am very confused!
I’m trying to migrate from ownCloud 10.0.3.3 to Nextcloud 12.0.4 but get the error:
Current version is 10.0.3.
Could not determine migration path to Nextcloud.

I have been waiting for Nextcloud 12.0.4 as I understood this would support migration from ownCloud 10.0.3.
Am I wrong or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Cliff

1 Like

I’m exactly in the same situation (owncloud 10.0.3.3), I have been waiting for the newer version during 3 months, I had understood on some forums that we must wait for the 12.0.4…

The file I have uploaded from this link for the migration seems to be not up to date : https://download.nextcloud.com/server/installer/migrator/index.php

Is it the case ?

2 Likes

There still seems to be a bug somewhere, ref:

1 Like

Hi,
Is there any progress on this? I’m stuck in limbo at the moment - I want to migrate to Nextcloud but can’t because the migration script doesn’t work, and I don’t want to upgrade my ownCloud instance because migration from ownCloud 10.0.4 to Nextcloud doesn’t seem to be supported.
Thanks,
Cliff

1 Like

I am not sure if a manual upgrade could work. Make a backup before, then:

• delete all files, except data/ and config/-folder
  • get code of NC 12.0.4 from owncloud.com/changelog and extract the code
  • fix permissions (if required)
  • run occ upgrade command via terminal (if possible)

If you are lucky it just works.

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not comfortable with ‘not sure if… could work’ and 'If you are lucky it just works." I would rather wait for this problem to be fixed.
Thanks.

1 Like

I said luckily because I haven’t seen any feedback on the upgrade process itself. But the issue you are running into is just that the migration path is not detected correctly. The manual upgrade is probably working quite good, and with a complete backup the risk should be manageable. But it is ok to wait for the issue to be fixed.

1 Like

We wait …
For active production system is restoring a backup …

1 Like

Thanks tflidd, i understand, and will wait for a solution.

1 Like

I did like suggested and it worked flawless.
I have it running on a VM so i was able to snapshot it before - but i was not forced to switch back.

1 Like

Sorry to keep pressing but is anyone looking at this problem? I really do want to migrate to Nextcloud.
Cliff

1 Like

If you’re using sqlite as your data store, you can make a complete and re-usable backup by copying your owncloud directory to a backup directory with cp -r owncloud owncloud-10 – if the upgrade process described at “3 reasons to upgrade your ownCloud instance to Nextcloud and how easy it is - #31 by tflidd” fails, you can restore your backup easily with mv owncloud nextcloud-12; mv owncloud-10 owncloud. (you could also just delete owncloud and move owncloud-10 back into it’s place but I’m superstitious so I don’t delete until I know I didn’t scramble the commands and delete the thing I need.

If you’re not running sqlite there are definitely instructions on how to backup your database and then restore from the backup.

I’m not running sqlite.

If you do want help figuring out how to ensure that you’ll be able to restore your work OwnCloud instance from a back up if the migration fails, you probably need to provide more detail about what you are running.

… and open a new thread.
Doesn’t make sense to solve problems in a news thread in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Started a new topic at: Migrating from ownCloud 10.x to NextCloud 12.x - or not, and if so, how?

1 Like

Note that there is now an upgrade path: ownCloud 10.0.3 can be upgraded to Nextcloud 12.0.4 :smiley:

1 Like

There must be an option to multiple click :heart:
:grinning:
We will migrate then at weekend

1 Like

Just to confirm that I have now successfully migrated from ownCloud 10.0.3.3 to Nextcloud 12.0.4 using the migration wizard/script and it worked perfectly first time. I had a few integrity check issues but once I had removed the left over oc files everything was fine. Excellent job with the migration script you guys, thank you so much for all of your hard work. :smiley:

Take care with postgres :frowning: