drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Feb 11  2017 cdebconf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127147 Feb 11  2017 initial-status.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    105 Feb 11  2017 lsb-release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17727 Feb 11  2017 hardware-summary
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  60878 Feb 11  2017 status
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     67 Feb 11  2017 media-info
-rw------- 1 root root  79115 Feb 11  2017 partman
-rw------- 1 root root 329602 Feb 11  2017 syslog
root@cloud:~# fs=$(df / | tail -1 | cut -f1 -d' ') && tune2fs -l $fs | grep 'Filesystem created'
Filesystem created:       Sat Feb 11 16:48:43 2017
  • Installed on 11.02.2017 in a Proxmox VM, which was moved to new hardware in the meantime and the virtual disk was increased from 512MB to 1024MB at some point in time.
  • Started with Nextcloud 13, currently Nextcloud 23.0.1
  • Two OS upgrades: From Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 to 20.04.
  • One Maria DB upgrade 10.3 to 10.6
  • Several PHP upgrades, started with 7.2.XX, currently on 8.0.15

I have two users (me and my girlfriend) We use mainly the calendar, files and collabora. The sync client on multiple computers (Linux and Mac) and on our phones (Android).

How does this post help anybody?

Most likely it doesn’t help at all, just like most of the post before this one. But I thought: It’s Friday, the sun is shining, why not add something positive here… :wink: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But this isn’t the analogy at all. A better analogy would be I gave YOU a free car as a gift, and then you had a problem changing the wheel, and expected me to come fix it for you, and got angry when I was busy fixing wheels on cars of people who had bought them from me.

2 Likes

Sorry, but to me this is just crazy.

“Backportbot” keeps adding Pull request after Pull request for 23.0.1 .
While I am still on 22, there are plenty users on 23 which sometimes
face some serious issues. And while the 23.0.1 Milestone has some 110
fixes in it there still is the decision to not fix them but have people
wait for even longer? Is 23.0.1 even worse the 23.0.0? Why cant’t they
draw a line, ship the fixes they have and then have another one follow
in maybe a coouple more weeks?
The way we work in our projects is: Fix the most critical and urgent
defects first. So my assumption is that the 110 most critical fixes are
already in? Or are you saying there are 110 minor fixes and the really
painful stuff is all still open? And that’s why nothing is being released?

I fully agree in term stability is the key - quality and stability is priority before new features. But the duration of the testing phase has low impact on the quality. Testing is in my eyes the most hardest part of software development - a tester must know and understand critical situations and force the software to break (say simulate bad network conditions and components outages) - which is not often the case if normal user do “testing” - they find these issues randomly and often can’t even describe them…

this fact doesn’t help while testing and neither it proofs development speed has decreased for some reason (pandemic-wise or projects load)

yes you did and you are right we had conflicts and didn’t produce any progress. I feel such discussions very useful (maybe we should start more generic thread) to understand the feelings, demands and problems of the users…

… and I still hope our lengthy discussions will somehow reach Nextcloud and motivate them into better communication… for me this missing feedback is main issue - if they are overwhelmed by the pandemic, lot of project, other priorities - it’s easier to align your reaction to the facts…

3 Likes

you are completely wrong - in your example you shared construction plans for a car but forget the brakes and my expectation is you help me to fix the damage happened to my car due to faulty construction plans by creating repair instructions…

please explain how my expectations are wrong?

What if my construction plans contained a note like this in them:

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU Affero General Public License for more details.

you didn’t explain

The excerpt of license you show is for legal purposes and has absolutely no impact on expectations and moral duty to fix issues (and provide support).

If somebody would rely on such statement to avoid fixing issues I would definitely stop using this product ASAP!!! despite the fact I’m really unhappy with the way how Nextcloud GmbH acts with the community I really hope they don’t share your @crobarcro mindset.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.