Wanted update from 20.0.8 to 20.0.9. Got update to 21.0.1 with errors

When makng a CLI update as mentioned above, got an update to 21.0.1. In the process I got ths error:
2021-04-10T08:59:09+02:00 Checked for update of app “files_e xternal_gdrive” in appstore
An unhandled exception has been thrown:
Error: Interface ‘OCA\Files_External\Lib\Config\IBackendProv ider’ not found in /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external_gd rive/lib/AppInfo/Application.php:32
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/composer/composer/ClassLoader.php( 478): include()
#1 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/composer/composer/ClassLoader.php( 346): Composer\Autoload\includeFile()
#2 [internal function]: Composer\Autoload\ClassLoader->loadC lass()
#3 [internal function]: spl_autoload_call()
#4 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Bootstrap/Coo rdinator.php(116): class_exists()
#5 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Bootstrap/Coo rdinator.php(86): OC\AppFramework\Bootstrap\Coordinator->reg isterApps()
#6 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Installer.php(146): OC\App Framework\Bootstrap\Coordinator->runLazyRegistration()
#7 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_App.php(431): OC \Installer->installApp()
#8 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(423): OC_App-> enable()
#9 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(268): OC\Updat er->upgradeAppStoreApps()
#10 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(132): OC\Upda ter->doUpgrade()
#11 /var/www/nextcloud/core/Command/Upgrade.php(255): OC\Upd ater->upgrade()
#12 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Command/Comm and.php(255): OC\Core\Command\Upgrade->execute()
#13 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application. php(1009): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run()
#14 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application. php(273): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunComman d()
#15 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application. php(149): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun()
#16 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Console/Application.php(2 15): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run()
#17 /var/www/nextcloud/console.php(100): OC\Console\Applicat ion->run()
#18 /var/www/nextcloud/occ(11): require_once(’/var/www/nextc l…’)
#19 {main}

…and the server was stuck.
I have Ubuntu 20.0.4. Nginx.

seems like this app neither compatible nor still in development. (https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_external_gdrive)
i would suggest to deactivate/remove this app

It does not show up when doing app:list
In the UI under tools it is visible in the appstore as active but I cannot deactivate it there. Get an error.
I cannot remove files external as it s a shipped. try to remove files_external_gdrive but it is not installed.

See other (older) threads about this upgrade issue (no solution yet), although they look slightly different, there could be still the same root cause maybe.

How can I limit the upgrade to 20.0.9? I get 21.0.1 automatically.

1 Like

I have the same problem. In Nextcloud or on command line the version 20.0.9 is announced but the updater wants to update to 21.0.1:

occ update:check
Nextcloud 20.0.9 is available. […]
1 update available

php updater.phar
Nextcloud Updater - version: v20.0.0beta4-11-g68fa0d4
Current version is 20.0.8.
Update to Nextcloud 21.0.1 available. (channel: “stable”)

From my point of view it is currently not possible to upgrade from 20.0.8 to 20.0.9

I have also observed this issue. This is definitely a bug as Nextcloud’s documentation always recommends upgrading to the latest version of the minor before upgrading to the next major.

Upon looking at the updater.log in the data directory, I see that it calls the URL “https://updates.nextcloud.com/updater_server/” using the current version information and asks the server what version it should try and download. Example URL: “https://updates.nextcloud.com/updater_server/?version=20x0x8x1xxxstablexx2021-02-24T19%3A11%3A39%2B00%3A00+1ff83111a63e795079d668bb15ffa84c1024596dx7x3x27” Is what my updater.log sent using $updateURL = $updaterServer . '?version='. str_replace('.', 'x', $this->getConfigOption('version')) .'xxx'.$releaseChannel.'xx'.urlencode($this->buildTime).'x'.PHP_MAJOR_VERSION.'x'.PHP_MINOR_VERSION.'x'.PHP_RELEASE_VERSION; as the PHP code in updater.phar and what was received was:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<nextcloud>
 <version>21.0.1.1</version>
 <versionstring>Nextcloud 21.0.1</versionstring>
 <url>https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-21.0.1.zip</url>
 <web>https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/21/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html</web>
 <changes>https://updates.nextcloud.com/changelog_server/?version=21.0.1</changes>
 <autoupdater>1</autoupdater>
 <eol>0</eol>
 <signature>YJQMb8iq13NhbvfEddaSjNeqlMe/dB0nJ27EwmiAuqSMMRpvVg4BjijfNjoG8lY9
rs0k+YN4EkGSr1lhZvdWZ9LpmP1wug/l1wj8lWzjxp/588yp5jHs24XBsi14GrDY
tgcx/V6E2ELFfgXJY6R4y2bIaaDPPjDfi+a2nq5ut0RTalGaUh6jr1dzaKQ0rJXm
lqcZSGdY+smeb7ciFf0hykivKZATXHLczvYO3FUu/HVqlgRUxi+Q+wNjFmfFL3Vr
RGlZGz7bpa48/2sprNJ2CYGVLMjxtktUrUIH6NB0diVMK8kAd7+OIqtjCmUG307S
qRc0DHdtzXMmzq4t4PfZhg==</signature>
</nextcloud>

I played around and I change the PHP version from 7.3 to 7.2, and was able to get 20.0.9 as the version to download.

So, if you want to upgrade from 20.0.8 to 20.0.9, you have two options:

1. Upgrade manually
  2. Downgrade your PHP to 7.2 (but might not work for everyone)

Probably it is a little bit easier. Just let the updater run with php7.2 (if it is installed) instead of downgrading the whole NC-instance as mentioned in another topic: Update to 20.0.9 instead of 21.0.1

I dit this and it worked fine on my side:

php7.2 updater.phar
Nextcloud Updater - version: v20.0.0beta4-11-g68fa0d4

Current version is 20.0.8.

Update to Nextcloud 20.0.9 available. (channel: “stable”)
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-20.0.9.zip
Open changelog :arrow_upper_right:

Steps that will be executed:
Check for expected files
Check for write permissions
Create backup
Downloading
Verify integrity
Extracting
Enable maintenance mode
Replace entry points
Delete old files
Move new files in place
Done

Start update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.

[:heavy_check_mark:] Check for expected files
[:heavy_check_mark:] Check for write permissions
[:heavy_check_mark:] Create backup
[:heavy_check_mark:] Downloading
[:heavy_check_mark:] Verify integrity
[:heavy_check_mark:] Extracting
[:heavy_check_mark:] Enable maintenance mode
[:heavy_check_mark:] Replace entry points
[:heavy_check_mark:] Delete old files
[:heavy_check_mark:] Move new files in place
[:heavy_check_mark:] Done

Update of code successful.

Should the “occ upgrade” command be executed? [Y/n]
Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
[…]
Keep maintenance mode active? [y/N]
Maintenance mode disabled

Maintenance mode is disabled

ref: Updating from 20.0.8 to 20.0.9 installs 21.0.1 instead · Issue #370 · nextcloud/updater · GitHub