Video calls in Nextcloud 11 with Spreed

Great, thanks! That’s good news!

Omitting the Spreed.Me Server is great!
Is it possible to use mobile clients like Android and iOS, especially with apps rather than browsers?

Thanks!

You mean currently not available in the app store :wink:. We are working on a special nc release, so stay tuned. If you are unable to wait, you can still use the oc version (with one little addition for nc 11, see jsxc/jsxc#423).

1 Like

Great, thanks for this info! I’ve just installed it and it’s working fine. Looking forward to test it in a teaching session!

Does the Spreed Video call require Spreed app enabled?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Connect spreed.me to server outside local network

Please keep this issue to general remarks and questions. If you have individual problems and configuration questions, please open a new topic.

It would be useful to add “spreed” as category to “apps” and “support/apps” section, as “speedme” is the different app with dedicated spreed.me server. Its might be little confusing thou, maybe it’s better to handle both apps in the same category and live with the circumstance that there might be questions necessary about which app is used ;). Just wanted to give the hint.

We already have so many categories, I would rather clean this up a little. For a user it must be quite obvious where to post. We also have this issue with the calendar, where the functionality is in core but the app is separate. However, I think it’s no problem to post everything calendar-related there and only for the bug reports we have to be careful to direct the user into the right topic. With spreed/spreedme it’s probably similar.

Excuse me if this goes away from the actual topic now ;):

• For me it’s sometimes difficult to decide if I should use “support/apps/…” or “apps/…”.
  • For the spreed app I recently used “apps/…”, because generally WebRTC with spreed.me app including turn server is working fine on my system and as spreed app is new, there might be some polishing necessary.
  • Also looking onto the threads inside this two categories, there seems to be much overlap at the moment. Sometimes it’s not easy to decide if you need help, because you did something wrong (support), or because there is a bug ;).
  • But to have one subcategory for every single app seems reasonable for me, so you exactly know where to put your topic if something went wrong while using this specific app. If the problem is coming from the app itself, from shared resources, nextcloud or even the underlying server environment is part of the analysis and of course should lead in case to a correct forwarding as fast as found out.

One feature that i wrote about on the release of the first nextcloud is :
Chat history with Spreed.

I will be a great skype-killer with this feature and it will be more entreprise app with this.

1 Like

Using nc10, I installed the “Spreed WebRTC” docker image and then the Spreed.ME app for nc10.

Now that I read nc11 integrates the Spreed* app and doesn’t need the old stuff / seperate server anymore, I want to get rid of (uninstall correctly and completely) that stuff mentioned above, before upgrading to nc11. How do I do that?

I don’t use docker, so can’t help you with that. But I would suggest to keep the “old” spreed installation, because the new app does not yet have all it’s features (chat, screen sharing, file transfer, …) and will maybe never have (just guess). Of course if you just need the video call itself, the new app is easy and seems to work fine for most users (excluding me so far sadly).

I suggest you keep the old app+server, upgrade nc, try the new app if it works fine for you and just in this case remove the old app+server afterwards. There is no deeper connection between spreed.me and nextcloud that leads to an advantage of removing it first. Or is there somehow something different when using docker?

hey i installed the video calls application on my hosted server but it doesn’t seem to be working with the shared link option. Everything seems to be fine. The page is loading normal (i tried it with the official next cloud demo everything worked there). But when i share a link for a public call it just doesn’t connect. On both both devices the site is looking normal but it says waiting for participant. What can i do? Like I mentioned the demo of nextcloud is working fine.

Did you try it with a different webrtc server? Both browsers support webrtc, allow camera, micro and notifications? Also I am not sure how the app behaves if p2p fails because STUN or TURN server is required. So also try it in you local network first, before over internet.

€: Ah shared host, forget about the local network thing :smiley:. So did you try to configure some STUN or TURN server?

yes both browsers support all the things they need. and it just doesn’t connect just saying: Waiting for to join the call. I also see next to the chain that there are 2 users it tells me: You,1 guest . To be honest i don’t quite know what a stun server is. But the hosting service i am using is called uberspace.

A STUN server is most likely needed or the clients are sitting behind a NAS to provide the local network IP. There is a free usable one from nextcloud but I am not sure about the URL or if it’s already predefined in admin panel / advanced settings. Otherwise there is also one from spreed: stun:stun.spreed.me:443
€: Ah, the one from nextcloud is: stun.nextcloud.com:443

A TURN server is for some NAS setups necessary instead, if STUN is not yet enough. It changes from p2p to a server in-between connection. So all the traffic is going through the TURN server then. You could ask your web host, if he provides one.

2 Likes

Just to be clear: At the moment stun.nextcloud.com is just CNAME’ing to stun.spreed.me

Ah good to know :sweat_smile:.

If not, you can install your own.

Just install coturn and you are done.