Update fails: The following extra files have been found: .well-known

Dear Nextcloud Community

I have been using my Nextcloud installation 11.0.1 on a Raspberry Pi with Apache Webserver for quite some time without issues and I am very happy with it.

I have to say that I followed a step by step guide and not at all familiar with Linux but dont need to be since things run stable.

During the trial to update to current version 12.0.4 using the integrated updated I am getting the error message “The following extra files have been found: .well-known”.
Google got me so far to know this is related to Letsencrypt which I am using and the solution suggests to temporarily move the folder “out of the way” perform the update and then move it back.

Problem is there is no mentioning on how to execute this step. I cannot even find out where this .well-known folder is located and how to access it.

In can access my RPI via Telnet and RDP.

Any help with “Baby Step” explanations would be highly appreciated. If more information is needed I would be happy to provide this if you could let me know details on how to get this.

Thanx alot :slight_smile:

I was able to solve the issue myself:

The mentioned Folder resides under \var\www"your nextcloud folder"

Reason I could not find it first was that it was marked as “hidden”. I logged on via Raspian Gui as root, openend the File Explorer and checked “Show Hidden” in then menu. Then the folder appeared and I was able to move the folder and was then able to execute the update via the intgrated updater function.

There’s a wider issue here in that one of the security errors that Nextcloud provides involves setting up files in /.well-known/ (Security warning: Your web server is not properly set up to resolve “/.well-known/caldav” ; https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/issues/general_troubleshooting.html#service-discovery) and yet these files are flagged as errors when upgrading the Nextcloud software. Nextcloud devs need to decide if these files are necessary or not! It shouldn’t be up to users to have to manually move the folder in order to complete an upgrade and then have to move the files back.