Trouble playing videos on web interface using Firefox

I have the same problem in my Installation. In my Installation Firefox tries to download the full Video before playback. With large Videos this causes the playback to not start. In Chrome however it works just fine and loads the video in parts and buffers it instead of loading the full file.

I tried to debug this today and stumbled over some blocked requests in the Network Tab in the Developer Tools in Firefox. I also checked in Chrome and found out that in Chrome there were no blocked requests. After investigating further I found out that in the blocked requests the Request Headers for the Authorization are missing. My guess is that Firefox tries to request parts of the video file and fails to get them because of the missing headers, so it falls back to loading the full file.

I don’t know if this is a problem of Firefox or the VideoJS Player implementation. Maybe this helps someone to pinpoint the issue further.

1 Like

What server configuration do you have? Are you running in Docker, or some other setup? I’ve found that I can change the behavior by fiddling with my web server configuration (lighttpd) but still nothing that fixes it.

I’m running Nextcloud on my VPS. It’s an Ubuntu 22.04 system with an apache2 webserver and PHP 8.2. I’m not running docker. The only thing, that may be different from a standard setup is, that Nextclodud is running in a subfolder of the webroot and not directly in the webroot.

Adding a “me too” here. Just switched to Firefox recently and NextCloud won’t play h265 anymore. Works fine on Chrome/Chromium. Considering the push away from Chrome, I think this is a pretty serious issue.

NextCloud AIO 27.1.3

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332136

1 Like

that might be the root of the problem, but not really a solution as far as nextcloud users are concerned. with the transcoding in nextcloud, does anyone have the steps needed to have ffmpeg or go-vod transcoding to a format that works? ill probably poke around tomorrow morning to see if i can look in the docs if no one already has steps. good to see someone narrowed down what the problem was, i had been kicking myself for days with this

Nextcloud doesn’t do transcoding, but you might want to have a look at Memories, which supports transcoding: Configuration - Memories

I’ve never tested it, so I don’t know how well it works. But one thing is for sure, to do on-demand transcoding you need a GPU that supports HW transcoding or a powerful CPU. So it probably won’t work well if at all on Raspberry Pis, VPSs or web hosting platforms. You might also need root access to your server in order to install certain dependencies.

that is exactly what im referring to, and it does work well even without a gpu. just not in FF apparently.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.