The user limit has been reached and the user was not created

But i found it! The plugin adds a second configuration file, config/truenas.config.php, where the limit was also defined. Removing/changing it there did the trick. Thanks for all your help anyways!

I wrote an issue.

@devnull I already commented on the original PR that added the limit. Apparently it had to do with some sort of review the Nextcloud org did of the plugin. So this is probably not the doing of the plugin creators, but Nextcloud wanted it to be treated like the AIO installer.

Yes i found it. Hopefully i get an answer to my really easy question.

@Daphne Do you know whether this limit is really in the Nextcloud base code or something specific to TrueNAS or other builds?

From the wording on that plugin, my first thought was maybe that paragraph was written for the Univention appliance.

I don’t know, sorry

I also found this for TrueNAS. Why doesn’t this apply to other hardware or software (e.g. Docker). What about e.g. https://cloud.tab.digital (i do not know their implementation) with “10.000.000” users. I just do not understand. As i said, i have no problem with support. I even find it important in the corporate environment.

The Nextcloud plugin is free for up to 100 users and directly available for download within TrueNAS. Small businesses and extended families can set up their own private clouds in just a few clicks. For larger schools and organizations with more than 100 users, an Enterprise support option is available starting at $8/month per user with no limits on the storage capacity or compute power per user. With the use of TrueNAS HA systems, these organizations will be able to build high-reliability solutions. TrueCommand can be used to manage distributed infrastructure deployments

So the aforementioned FreeBSD OS is actually TrueNAS and this limitation is something specific to the TrueNAS implementation. Is that where we are?

That $8/mo/user support figure is also most definitely not the official Nextcloud enterprise support.

1 Like

It’s also in Nextcloud-AIO and apparently in some cloud images on AWS, Azure etc… But as far as I know it’s not in the zip files you can download from nextcloud.com. So the restriction seems only to affect official “one-click” appliances.

1 Like

@KarlF12 yes, sort of. As @bb77 says, this is official Nextcloud functionality that seems to be enabled and enforced for any kind of “easy install” implementations such as the AIO docker and the Free-/TrueNAS iocage jail plugin. I don’t really understand why this is being enforced for what are essentially just install scripts, but that’s how i understand it.

I’m looking at an AIO installation, and I see that same thing in config.php.

I don’t recall seeing anything about a user limit before. If it only allows 100 users, then that should be made plain on the website. It bodes ill for the platform when limits start being introduced in the code.

I don’t see it mentioned on https://nextcloud.com/install or https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one

The user limit for AIO was there since the beginning.

I’ll lock this now since the original question was answered.

1 Like