Test our new work-in-progress upgrader script

I am pretty sure I used the NC updater. During entry of conf.php password, the NextCloud logo has been displayed. config.php pointed to Nextcloud. I have seen the same on my test environment where OC components had been deleted the time I switched from OC to NC.
So, we have to look for another reason.

I can try to reset my test to the state of last week and retry the update if I have the time to do it tonight. Necessary? Prod, I wont reset :wink:

So you replaced the file? Only then our new upgrader script is used. Because the called code is only in the shipped version of the updater/ folder (which is the ownCloud one :frowning: ).

Sorry for this.

Update worked for me today after removing /assets empty folder and doing chown -R www-data:www-data . in Nextcloud folder (I had permission error with no details about folders with errors).

Updated from 9.1.0.16 (10.0 beta) to 10.0.1 RC1.

After update, update script page still proposes to Continue update:

After I already used the updater to go from 9.0.51 to 9.0.52, I failed to upgrade tot 9.0.53 today:

[Exception] Unable to copy /var/lib/owncloud/data//updater-data/_oc_upgrade/9.0.52.0/config/config.php to /var/www/nextcloud/config/config.php

The directory /var/www/nextcloud/config doesn’t exist, but /var/www/nextcloud/, owned by www-data:www-data and containig folders apps, themes and updater does.

Notably there wasn’t any rollback so I’m stranded with an broken Nextcloud, but will try to revert back using the checkpoint manually. This worked: cp -ar checkpoint/9.0.52.0-57de9fc2ab719/core/. /var/www/nextcloud

Thanks for this feedback. This is know - the .step file is not yet deleted. You can do this manually: remove the file in data/updater-INSTANCEID/.step

Our updater script doesn’t do checkpoints but simply places the saved code into backups - this therefore looks like you used the old updater and not our new updater script in here. This updater script needs to be placed manually in the folder updater/.

Hi,

I’m trying to upgrade forme ownCloud 8.2.2. to nextCloud 10, on a ‘test’ server, with the script.

So, I’ve put the script in /updater/index.php ; add the line, 'updater.server.url' => 'https://updates.nextcloud.org/updater_server/',, then got back to my ownCloud admin, choose “Daily” for the updating channel. With that, I can start the upgrade process but, the step 3 (replacement), fails and I get this error message : “Unable to move /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/cloud.nicolasserver5.lan/_oc-upgrade/100.0.0.0/core/updater to /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/cloud.nicolasserver5.lan/updater”

However, the access rights are good.

I also wanted to try directly by accessing the script, but how do I generate the updater secret manually?

Thanks for help :slight_smile:

We now ship this new upgrader script in 9.0.54 and 10.0.1. If you want to test this in previous versions use the steps from Help testing the 9.0.54RC1 and 10.0.1RC1

To see if you are in the correct version of the updater check out the two pictures in https://github.com/nextcloud/updater/issues/39#issuecomment-250399443

I will close this ticket here now. Thanks for all your feedback.

@nicojack: try the steps I linked in the first paragraph.

2 Likes