Symbolic link support

I am also very interested by this feature. Is there any plan to support it? I want it especially for Unix systems!

2 Likes

From an efficiency standpoint thereā€™s little reason not to implement symlinks.
The cost of the algorithm is O(n), where n is the number of symlinks stored. Itā€™s reasonably fast. In fact optimizations can be made if you donā€™t assume that every single symlink participates in a trip through the graph. This leads to the algorithm being limited by the maximum number of nodes in a connected subgraph.

From a security standpoint, thatā€™s a whole other can of worms.

Yes, please support symbolic links!! (with no dereferencing) We are trying to migrate our labā€™s infrastructure to NextCloud, and the fact that symlinks arenā€™t copied at all breaks a lot of our workflow. :frowning:

Just read through the topic. Jep vote for symlink without dereferencing as well.
Reaaaally nice would be, if on Windows clients they would be created as .lnk files automatically and on Apple systems as their pendant respectively.

An optional feature to dereference symlinks would to nice of course, e.g. allow automatically dereference symlinks, if they link to something outside the data directory. If they are just used as internal structure tool, of course dereferencing doesnā€™t make any sense at all, as at least two copies would be synced.

• But besides the already mentioned issues, also how does the client know, that it doesnā€™t have to sync back the non-link file, that is on the server then? Would need some client side stored info, about which files on the client side should stay links and which (different) files to sync back from server.
  • Also what happens then, if the file is changed server side? Sync back the changed file to the client, which then has two copies, the older one, that was linked to, as well :thinking:? Nice would be if the symlink stays, but the target file is changedā€¦ BUT uhh, impossible or at least unreliable due to permissions and an even way worse security risk than mentioned above.
  • No idea how Dropbox handles these questions, but the one way or the other, there will be heavily surprised end usersā€¦
  • From my point of view, because of this issues and questions and as due to its complexity, users might expect it being resolved differently, than the software does, symlinks should be never dereferenced. If one needs to have a file available on two locations client side, place the real file inside Nextcloud data dir and the link outside.
1 Like

I suggest doing something like this in small steps. The original use case this was to support internal symlinks (aka no server-side de-reference), so do that first.

The implementation should be kept to this minimum, plus the notes about validating symlinks to ensure they are inside the sync directory (see my other comment). By doing it this way you cover the majority of use cases for symlinks while also minimising headaches for users.

The server-side de-referencing idea above is interesting but would need much more thought, and probably will take much longer to code and validate and may cause more support tickets being raised when it goes wrong. See how hard the first stage is to implement before taking this larger piece of work on.

Hello, I find this comment very clarifying. I understand that there are different use cases that might benefit from either implementation. I just restate the symbolic link processing strategies:

• TYPE A: No dereferencing
  • TYPE B. Client dereferencing

Some opinions:
I came because I needed the type B (deref). I implemented a poc. It is a poc since it does not address the issues you mention (loop check, file system notifications).
I agree that the multiple sync folders functionality, partially solves this issue, but again it has the problem of copying the data in the synced folder under the root folder. With symbolic links you can preserve your documents organization and just symlink the stuff you want to publish under root, without wasting space.
Regarding security, indeed, this should be added as an advanced opt in option, targeted to power users, who want this conveniency.
Also I can see that it should be more practical to have this option per synced root (per client).
Note, that this is a client implementation. The server does not know anything. Also clients that are on platforms no supporting symlink, they too, not do any special processing.

Regarding type A (noderef), I can see use cases, but I think it should be limited to symbolic links targeting paths inside the sync root. To distribute links that link outside the root is not so practical, since:

1. The paths environment might be different from client to client (e.g. client a has folder /opt/data/, client b does not). If you need a client to modify a path outside the sync root, with type B (since you know what you are doing) you can add a symlink and only to the environments you want to (e.g. only on client a and not on b)
    b. There is no cross platform meaning for e.gā€¦" C:\data" vs ā€œ/home/dataā€

Also I consider this to be more difficult to implement, since you need to modify client and server to be aware of a new file type. In addition, client should consider all platforms specifically. Also you need to sanitize that links will be pointing inside the sync root.

And like you said, if they are to be implemented both, they should be mutually exclusive. Also the client should handle various corner cases

• client a type A, client b type B =>
    • handle name clashes, on both ends, ignore if type mismatch,
    • b skips remote links,
  • client a type A, client b no link processing
    • b skip remote links
  • client a type A, then change setting to no processing
    • what do we do on remote? Do we delete the links ? Just leave them ? (maybe this suggests that link setting should be a remote setting shared by all clients ?
  • Another though, links are first classified as external (linking outside the sync root) and internal. Then the type A setting applies only to internal and type B only to external. Again, what if I change one link from external to internal ?

Brain damageā€¦

Anyway I might improve the type B thing.

Hello,

Just another view: I am using the fact that nextcloud ignores links as a feature to embed GIT repositories inside directory trees synchronized with nextcloud. In order to avoid issues it is best to avoid that nextcloud updates files in GIT repositories.

• One solution would be to add every GIT repository in the list of ignore files for nextcloud. But that is not efficient if you have many repositories.

• The other solution I adopted was to create the original GIT repositories in a hidden subfolder (eg. ā€œ.subfoldersā€) and then use symlinks to present the GIT repositories in the nextcloud tree where I want them to be.

In case nextcloud would be ā€œupgradedā€ to deal with symlinks, I would like to have a setting allowing to require nextcloud to ignore them (as now).

Hi,

I would like to emphasize the point again that symlinks used to be synchronized. When this feature was removed it totally broke my setup so Iā€™m still using an ancient version of the desktop client.

@cgraefe what is the last version that supports symbolic link?

This is a long thread. But as I understand it youā€™re discussing allowing and managing filesystem symlinks as made by ls -s ?

In my opinion I think it would be better to introduce internal links, similar to shares. This way we solve security issues as well as access control. A bonus is that we are not dependant if the underlying filesystem supports symlinks.

We already support links to individual objects. We do need a way to represent them as a file-links, and possibly deal with conversion of symlinks to NC links.

For example:

The link could be stored in a plain file.link containing something like this, but preferably in xml or json.

[NC16 link] 
https://example.com/index.php/f/167231
2 Likes

Dropbox has this solved somehow. Maybe check how they do it?

Symlink support is essential for many non-trivial use-cases on both MacOS and Linux. Itā€™s not a magical thing. Iā€™m honestly surprised that Nextcloud doesnā€™t support them, this should be flagged as a bug.

Again, other cloud storages support symlinks, so why not copy their method?

5 Likes

Well, you may try it with the Link editor app, which is more about external links to the websites, however you may use if for this specific case.

1 Like

I was searching for a way to use symlinks in the web interface and I ended up trying ā€œLink editorā€ app.
Two problems:

1. It works only on the web interface, so the links become useless on native file managers.
  2. Nextcloud sees it as an external link, so instead of loading with Ajax the folder or the file pointed, it reloads the entire webpage.
1 Like

They have an open source client? With a compatible license?

1 Like

As a sidenote nextcloud symlinks (with or without real filesystem symlinks) would be essential to be able to create a normal picture albums app where the the albums may include images in file storage, or several albums include the same image with different permissions, sharing attributes and comments.

The other album solution is basically using the database to create a symlinking service just for the albums, which sounds like a waste of time implementing a common useful feature for just one app; it would be a generic useful feature to share groups of files with different groups of people, having separate comments and chats.

2 Likes

Do we have a github issue tracking any of the two symlink implementations (with and without filesystem support)?

It would be nice to get this issue going into a more implementation phase eventually. Or fork and show case different implementations. I donā€™t think the ā€œw/ fs supportā€ will get any where without such. And if deemed to complex, we can still take the ā€œw/o fs supportā€ route.

@cvoges12
The thread is 6 years old.
If you want to achieve something, open a separate thread.

But last reply was made last year. Albeit over a long period of time, I feel like thereā€™s some discussion still happening.

Youā€™ll find related feature requests on the desktop bug tracker. If you can participate and add some code, they are very likely open for pull requests.

So others donā€™t need to search for it themselves, hereā€™s the link:

I understand that de-referencing symlinks could cause a lot of trouble (like loops) but simply syncing symlinks as-is should be really easy as long as client and server are both linux /mac / unix systems.

For Windows clients just continuing to ignore them would probably be the easiest solution.