Stuck on an error message "Step 5 is currently in process"

Nextcloud version: 25.0.8
Operating system and version: Debian 12 Bookworm
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.57
PHP version: 8.2.7

I’m currently on NC 25.0.8 and as I was trying to update to 26.0.3 via the admin panel, I keep getting the message “Step 5 is currently in process. Please reload this page later.”

I have read many threads, some recommending to delete a .step file - which I do not have, some recommended to delete the updater_##### folder - which I do not have either.

I have tried to run the updater via command line with a manual php memory limit and still get the same error.

sudo -u www-data php -d memory_limit=1024M updater/updater.phar
Nextcloud Updater - version: v25.0.3-2-gd49ee0d

Step 5 is currently in process. Please call this command later.

you can try to add an -vvv in the end of your command, it can give a bit more details. Normally at this step it should run the code integrity.

If you have more memory, you can try to use a higher limit.

Worst case is to do a more manual update (where you get and extract the code manually). I have used this update procedure during all the recent updates and haven’t seen a problem.

Perhaps, it could be some conflict since php 8.2 is not supported by NC25:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/25/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

however it would be great to have a update procedure working with php 8.2 even if this NC version generally does not support 8.2. To find such issues, it helps to put php in debug mode and show all the errors…

All of those parameters in php.ini are set to 1024MB.

I tried adding -vvv

sudo -u www-data php -d memory_limit=2024M updater/updater.phar -vvv

Box Requirements Checker

Using PHP 8.2.7
PHP is using the following php.ini file:
/etc/php/8.2/cli/php.ini

Checking Box requirements:
:heavy_check_mark: The package “psr/container” requires the version “>=7.4.0” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/console” requires the version “>=7.1.3” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/deprecation-contracts” requires the version “>=7.1” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/polyfill-mbstring” requires the version “>=7.1” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/polyfill-php73” requires the version “>=7.1” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/polyfill-php80” requires the version “>=7.1” or greater.
:heavy_check_mark: The package “symfony/service-contracts” requires the version “>=7.2.5” or greater.

[OK] Your system is ready to run the application.

Nextcloud Updater - version: v25.0.3-2-gd49ee0d

Step 5 is currently in process. Please call this command later.

How do I properly do a manual update, other than just extracting the new files

1. I would not have gone to PHP 8.2 before upgrading to NC26 (it is 100% not supported for NC25 or NC25’s updater). :slight_smile: Fortunately you can likely easily switch back to PHP 8.1 using update-alternatives.
  2. The updater app logs to a file called updater.log located in your configured datadirectory. It will have further details on what is going on.
  3. The updater-$instanceID folder you’re looking for will be located in your configured datadirectory. It is also where you’ll find the .step file. You definitely will have this file because it is impossible to get to the stage you’re at without it.
  4. The manual update process is in the Admin Manual if you must resort to using it: Upgrade manually — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

Finding your updater.log is going to be the key to figuring out things. When you find it, post the contents - or at least the very end of it.

Going back to PHP 8.1 and upgrading worked, then back to PHP 8.2 and now everything is up to date and functional.

Just for future reference, if anyone is ever confused on the data directory like I was… it’s the storage “data” directory where you store all of your files, NOT the actual directory with NextCloud files and configs.

I found this, and it fixed the issue for me (php 8.2, Nextcloud 26.0.3 → 26.0.7):

sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ maintenance:repair
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar --no-interaction

Thank-you leogrande.
Link for original post:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot <3, the maintenance:repair command fixes the step broken process. My installation also did not have any step file or update-xxxx folder.

This is poorly programmed, the error message should better be
“Delete the hidden file ‘.step’ in the updater directory.”.

rm updater-ocg040mwi5dn/.step
is the solution to continue working.

Greetings
MPenzi

What if this step takes longer? Then it is good to wait and not have a system in some mixed-state and then retrigger the update procedure. It is the right thing, if this step is hung.