🐞 Request for help testing specific Deck Android version

Solved

This topic is obsolete, no further need to test this! Thanks everybody for the help.
If you think you can help us fixing this issue: We are offering a little bounty :wink:

Original request

Dear community,

due to the huge range of supported devices and manufacturers we are not 100% sure whether this is ready to release, therefore we’d like to ask for your help to test a recent change in the Deck Android app.
The issue we are trying to solve is quite hard to detect as it requires the app to be used over a long time and then being killed by the Android system. This can be the case when keeping the app or a specific card open in the background and return to it after some time.

1. The debug app can be installed and used safely in parallel to the released Deck Android version.
  2. There is no risk of a “loosing all data” nightmare. We wouldn’t ask you for help if we were aware of an issues which can cause complete data loss or anything. Nevertheless we recommend of course to make a backup and / or use a test instance.
  3. The debug app is identical to the released version 1.18.3 with one exception: It is possible that it crashes under some circumstances. After killing the app and starting it again, everything should work fine again.

How to help?

1. Please leave a comment here if you want to participate. This ensures that we know that someone actually tested it :wink:.
  2. Download this debug .apk file and install it
  3. Watch out for a error message called Zombie fragment detected and report it here in this help forum. If you encounter any other issues then that, open a new issue in our issue tracker (it is not related to this test).
  4. When you decide to finish testing, we recommend to remove this debug build. It is not signed and has not build optimizations.

We can’t offer you much as service in return, but if you are interested, you can ask for free vouchers for the Deck and Notes Android apps for the Play Store.

2 Likes

@stefan-niedermann Are you still looking for people to test this? I’d be happy to try.

Yes, thank you for your offer :slight_smile:

OK Installed and I’ve turned on debug logs as they we turned off. If I hit an error I’ll post it here.

No need to turn the logging on - the error we are looking for will come in any case. You should disable it again as it is not meant to run always :wink:

Just letting you know I jumped on the train as well to test it. I will let you know if something comes up :slight_smile: I haven’t had the app previously, but must say it looks very appealing! Great job and kudos to the people working on it!

2 Likes

Do I get a prize? :grinning:

The steps to produce this are unclear

• I was using the app,
  • opened some cards,
  • probably left a card open as you mention above,
  • swapped the app to another app, or locked the screen,
  • then I went to open it again, and
  • peoiduces this crash screen.
Full Crash:

App Version: 1.18.3
App Version Code: 1018003
App Flavor: dev

Files App Version Code: 30160190

---

OS Version: 4.4.205-perf+(2010292059)
OS API Level: 29
Device: OnePlus5T
Manufacturer: OnePlus
Model (and Product): ONEPLUS A5010 (OnePlus5T)

---

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Zombie fragment detected: StackFragment
	at it.niedermann.nextcloud.deck.ui.stack.StackFragment.onCreateView(StackFragment.java:80)
	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.performCreateView(Fragment.java:2963)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.createView(FragmentStateManager.java:518)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStateManager.java:282)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStore.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStore.java:112)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.moveToState(FragmentManager.java:1647)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.dispatchStateChange(FragmentManager.java:3128)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.dispatchActivityCreated(FragmentManager.java:3072)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentController.dispatchActivityCreated(FragmentController.java:251)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentActivity.onStart(FragmentActivity.java:501)
	at androidx.appcompat.app.AppCompatActivity.onStart(AppCompatActivity.java:246)
	at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnStart(Instrumentation.java:1521)
	at android.app.Activity.performStart(Activity.java:7838)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.handleStartActivity(ActivityThread.java:3399)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.performLifecycleSequence(TransactionExecutor.java:221)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.cycleToPath(TransactionExecutor.java:201)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeLifecycleState(TransactionExecutor.java:173)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:97)
	at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2110)
	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:107)
	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:214)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7697)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:516)
	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:950)

1 Like

I got it too!

I saw your post and thought I’d check the app again. First screen I met was with the stack trace:

Full Crash:

App Version: 1.18.3
App Version Code: 1018003
App Flavor: dev

Files App Version Code: 30160190

---

OS Version: 5.4.61-qgki-perf(30.11.51.67)
OS API Level: 30
Device: ASUS_I006D
Manufacturer: asus
Model (and Product): ASUS_I006D (EU_I006D)

---

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Zombie fragment detected: StackFragment
	at it.niedermann.nextcloud.deck.ui.stack.StackFragment.onCreateView(StackFragment.java:80)
	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.performCreateView(Fragment.java:2963)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.createView(FragmentStateManager.java:518)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStateManager.java:282)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStore.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStore.java:112)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.moveToState(FragmentManager.java:1647)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.dispatchStateChange(FragmentManager.java:3128)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.dispatchActivityCreated(FragmentManager.java:3072)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentController.dispatchActivityCreated(FragmentController.java:251)
	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentActivity.onStart(FragmentActivity.java:501)
	at androidx.appcompat.app.AppCompatActivity.onStart(AppCompatActivity.java:246)
	at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnStart(Instrumentation.java:1436)
	at android.app.Activity.performStart(Activity.java:8088)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.handleStartActivity(ActivityThread.java:3539)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.performLifecycleSequence(TransactionExecutor.java:221)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.cycleToPath(TransactionExecutor.java:201)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeLifecycleState(TransactionExecutor.java:173)
	at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:97)
	at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2129)
	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:263)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7810)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:952)

1 Like

Thank you @bernard and @denNorske !

You can now switch back to the stable releases. Unfortunately it seems like the issue isn’t solved yet.
I will open a request for help in the android section later, since i don’t have any idea how to solve this anymore.

I really appreciated your help and efforts and i might ask for help in the future again :slightly_smiling_face:

If one of you needs Play Store vouchers for Notes or Deck, just send me a private message.

1 Like

No problem @stefan-niedermann. I’ll certainly be happy to help again. Just @ mention me here so I get notified.

I have already purchased thr Deck and Noted app. I’d be happy to donate my voucher to someone else if that’s possible.

Thanks again for the Deck and Notes app. They help me on a daily basis.