Production channel removal

That’s scary

Although I really cannot imagine Nextcloud GmbH putting hundreds of thousands non-premium users at risk, this can be read as “You won’t receive newest security fixes as fast as paying customers”.

I think someone has thoughtlessly phrased this sentence and it is explicitly up to Frank as head of Nextcloud GmbH to make it clear to the public that all channels will receive at least urgent security fixes at the same time.

And frankly there is no logistical reason for paying and non-paying users to receive security patches at different times. That’s just introducing unnecessary complexity where they should just release a patch to everyone.

I hope you are right that it was just a PR person making a pitch and they don’t actually do it that way. Some clarification from higher up would be nice.

It does seem fairly explicit. They reiterate the point in the What Does the Subscription Give Me section:

• Security and hardening consulting and early access to security patches

If that’s true (and otherwise, why are enterprise customers being told this?) that’s actually quite dangerous, as those receiving the early access to security patches would potentially have knowledge of vulnerabilities still affecting community users.

2 Likes

The only one who can answer this question probably is @jospoortvliet.

Does anyone know where the code for the Enterprise version is published?

I’m sure that’s on a private repository, not published anywhere you could access (until they push those changes to their public GitHub repo).

So basically back in November, Jos explained how the higher the update channel, the slower you get updates and fixes. Now we recently find this nugget stating that enterprise users get “early access” to security fixes, which seems contradictory.

It’s like a double rainbow: what does it mean?

Yes, that’s what I was guessing. Thing is, I also find this confusing when the Enterprise version is itself advertised as “100% open source”, and Nextcloud has a declared position against having a proprietary version.

Like a double rainbow, it doesn’t mean anything good. The way I read it, it can mean one of two things:

• Someone is going out of their way to hold back security fixes from the open source code
  • It’s all marketing BS and security patches are available to everyone at roughly the same time

I find the latter to be more likely. It’s probably misworded by a non-technical person and what they really mean is there are people internally doing extra security analysis on the enterprise code which is not really different from the open code.

The advantage an enterprise user can have, Nextcloud probably knows the configuration and can give you a heads-up when they are fixing something, so you are prepared. And if there are problems during roll out of the patch, they receive assistance from the Nextcloud team. Perhaps some of the larger customers get more detailed warnings before, what options or modules to turn off temporarily since they are more exposed. And if there are running systems to be tested with the new patch, it’s perhaps theirs.

For community users, the announcement comes suddenly, there can be confusion if your setup is concerned (think about the nginx configuration change recently).

I actually don’t know, it’s just what I suppose. I don’t think that they keep fixes from the community but they provide more support for their customers that they can be faster and more efficient.

Yes, that’s what we do.

Now a lot of people are still replying that they’re unhappy that the production channel has disappeared. I’ve tried to explain that it didn’t do what you all thought it was doing - it has always just been broken (except for the thing @tessus mentioned, that’d be nice to find a solution for, that you can stay on a stable release, but I’d rather see that done in the command line so you can use the updater to go to any version rather than just to the one we offer. But it’s a feature that needs developing, simple as that).

So we didn’t take anything away that actually existed, just the IDEA of something :wink:

1 Like

@jospoortvliet That being the case, it would probably be best to fix the misleading description that literally says the enterprise channel gets security patches earlier.

6 Likes