PHP8.2 with Nextcloud 25.0.2

The page you referring to are the PHP versions that are supported by the people who develop PHP.

That are not necessary the PHP versions that Nextcloud support. That being said, it’s sad to see that Nextcloud still doesn’t support PHP 8.2.

I understand that, but the way the message is worded in Nextcloud is as if it will support any currently supported version when it in fact does not. My point is that if Nextcloud is going to give a warning that it is time to look into PHP upgrades and link to currently supported versions (by the PHP Group) it should in fact also list the major caveat that the most recent supported version (by the PHP Group) is in fact not support by Nextcloud. Something to the tune of “Your Nextcloud instance is using PHPvX.X which is now deprecated. Nextcloud XX.X supports up to PHP vX.X. For more details see server requirements here.” would be ideal.

The Nextcloud warning is just this which isn’t very

/lib/versioncheck.php edit and remove this:

// Show warning if >= PHP 8.2 is used as Nextcloud is not compatible with >= PHP 8.2 for now
if (PHP_VERSION_ID >= 80200) {
http_response_code(500);
echo ‘This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with PHP>=8.2.
’;
echo 'You are currently running ’ . PHP_VERSION . ‘.’;
exit(1);
}

1 Like

Yeah sure, just turn off the warning and everything will be fine :wink:

Either you have issues with 8.2 or you don’t. If you do have issues you have to downgrade PHP, if you don’t have issues you can just ignore the warning, as it will disappear with Nextcloud 26 anyways…

Well, I don’t know, everything works for me even on nextcloud 24. The restriction does not make logical sense, because php 8.1 and 8.2 are not much different. I don’t have an option to install an older version of php because I use debian sid

1 Like

Hi,
I did run Nextcloud 25 and bullseye (debian 11).
And wanted to go up one release for both.

So I did upgrade my debian to bookworm (debian 12).

Debian 12 install php 8.2.7, and my nextcloud was stuck saying that it was not compatible.
Debian 12 does not enable the installation of a lower release of php.

So I did apply a patch on versioncheck.php, by changing ‘PHP_VERSION_ID >= 80200’ to ‘PHP_VERSION_ID >= 80300’ and run the upgrade for nextcloud.

It did work, and saved me from a difficult situation.
I am now running Debian 12, php 8.2 and Nextcloud 26…

Thanks.

Note for nextcloud developpers :

I would have liked for this upgrade that the Nextcloud 26 to be compatible with a common release wih Nextcloud 26 and Debian 12…

Don’t forget that Nextcloudhas to be supported by an OS/distribution.

Docker is not a true solution for configuration management, and stability.

Regads.