No thumbnails for any video files (all formats)

I cannot get Nextcloud to show thumbnails for any video files. I have installed or already have the latest ffmpeg, imagick, ffmpeg thumbnailer. I cannot use the preview generator app because I use encryption, but that should not affect the ability to generate thumbnails. As far as I understand, that only helps with load times. I cannot get an actual thumbnail for videos to begin with. I am not sure if I should be looking to my OS or at Nextcloud for the answer.

I am on Ubuntu 18.04 Server updated with all the latest (apache2, php, etc)

Me too!

Office documents and PDF are also not working.

I have installed Preview Generator 2.1.0 according to:

It worked until Nextcloud 14 on Ubuntu 16.04

While executing the Preview Generator cronjob i have this error:

(process:13186): dconf-CRITICAL **: 10:40:06.399: unable to create directory '/var/www/clients/client1/web7/.cache/dconf': Operation not permitted.  dconf will not work properly.
func=xmlSecCheckVersionExt:file=xmlsec.c:line=188:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=19:invalid version:mode=abi compatible;expected minor version=2;real minor version=2;expected subminor version=25;real subminor version=26

I have filed a bug as well but no answer (yet) @rullzer

I tried preview generator but that didn’t work because I use encryption. However, preview generator is only to speed up load times (which i don’t care about because my server is personal). I figure that if Nextcloud can generate thumbnails from all my images and gifs (which are encrypted), then there is no reason it shouldn’t be able to generate thumbnails for videos also. It would simply use the same user key that it uses to actually open a file with.

For me, Office docs work but I have to download them to open them. The solution to this is running either Collabora or OnlyOffice for in app modifications and viewing. My pdf viewer works fine (luckily). I installed the pdf viewer app.

Glad you filed a bug report, but I think the issue is lower level than preview generator. Thumbs should work with or without preview generator. Encryption should be considered standard practice and not some fringe use case.

2 Likes