No Subtitles in Video

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): CentOS 7.8 (NethServer)
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)
Server built: Apr 2 2020 13:13:23

PHP version (eg, 7.1): Using scl Probably used php7.1 on nextcloud.

The issue you are facing:
When playing a video ion nextcloud, subtitles are not shown. Both .srt and .vtt files are available in the same directory.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): yes, it’s the first time I tried to watch a video (mp4) from nextcloud

Steps to replicate it:

1. log in nextcloud
  2. browse to directory
  3. click .mp4 file

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

nothing in the logs for video playback

Is there anywhere the video playback functionality can be told to find .rst or .vtt files so they show up in the playback stream?
I tried both .srt and .vtt files. Also renamed .vtt file to .txt all without showing the subtitles when playing the video.
Having the mp4 and subtitles locally is no problem (with VLC player or videos application (KDE-Plasma)

So, basically there is no subtitle support whatsoever. That’s a pity.
Would have been really nice if it would be available.

1 Like

A couple really nice film players exist with subtitle support that you can host externally and plug into your cloud:

Unfortunately, in my case this doesn’t solve the problem. Usecase: I create a video with subtitles and send a sharelink to a 3rd party to watch. I can’t go and install appropriate video playing infrastructure on every device that will be used for watching.
Neither Jellyfin nor Kodi are viable solutions for this (quite common) use case.