No pictures are shown under "Photos" menu entry

Environment: NC 18.0.4, Nextcloud app version 3.12.0 RC1

Access to my files, folders and pictures is working from the Nextcloud app in general, except if I select the “Photos” menu entry no pictures at all are displayed. Is this currently the normal behavior? Can anyone please shed some light on the current status of this function.

I’ve seen that there are still some related open issues concerning the photo view but I’m unsure if that is the root cause of the problem:

Same problem (android) Perhaps an upgrade bug.

Deinstall the app and install the app.

Ok you must reenter your server, user and password. Sorry.

Ok, I reinstalled the app and the result is still the same - no photos are displayed at all.
In parallel I had an eye on the Nextcloud server log file and found the following message being logged each time I accessed this function from within the Nextcloud app on Android:

...","app":"PHP","method":"SEARCH","url":"/remote.php/dav","message":"Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4096 bytes) at .../nextcloud/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php#158","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Android) Nextcloud-android/3.12.0 RC1","version":"18.0.4.2"}

Although the server is working like a charm and the mentioned message hasn’t been displayed in the past, I increased the available PHP memory limit from 512MB to 1GB. Surprisingly a similar message is still being logged:

...,"app":"PHP","method":"SEARCH","url":"/remote.php/dav","message":"Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) at .../nextcloud/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php#158","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Android) Nextcloud-android/3.12.0 RC1","version":"18.0.4.2"}

Now I wonder why only the Nextcloud app requests such a huge amount of memory, only to search photos. Non of the other server related functions are running into that problem, nor the Nextcloud web gui does?!

Did you wait long enough? For me it takes ages without any HDD activity on the server.

Do not understand why though. From my point of view all that has to be done is query the dB for the 40 most recent pictures, which takes less than a second and the loading the previews. If a user has to wait for more than a few seconds something is wrong.

I will give it a try again, although the Nextcloud Photos app works much faster. Therefore I couldn’t imagine that it would take so long on my Android phone.

@tobiasKaminsky Is this the expected behavior or is it worse to open an issue ticket for this?

I’m having the same issue. However when I refresh, I get spinning circle for a half-second and it resolves with no photos. I’ve left it open for the 30 mins I have it set to have my screen turn off with no results.

DUPLICATE: Cannot View Photos in Android App

The app asks server for photos, showing first 60 items and then loads another 60.
If the query ends after half-second it means that the server responds this fast, but without any reply.
So it might be a server problem.

-> open up an issue on github

done.