No native backup, sync and snapshot features in Nextcloud

It is not an order but a collective invitation to get down to work rather than trying to get around the problem, saying that it is not possible, that it is not necessary etc.

And thank you I know what open source 
 If Nextcloud was not open source, the time of this discussion, the native backup is already developed :wink: (humor)

You did not specify that you want backup from the user perspective in your original post, therefore I assumed you were talking about a server-side backup.

What exactly would you want to backup as a user? All your files, contacts and calendar entries?

With all the options you want to have it is not trivial. For your average wordpress installation, what is the backup size? On NC, if you have a few data, you can easily gather a few hundred MB of database entries plus the files, you need to process and combine everything with php without running into timeouts. That is already an issue for database changes during updates, when php processes are heavily limited in size, cpu power and execution time.
You could perhaps think about some extension of the external storage feature, let some cronjob do the work in the background or at night with more resources. However this wouldn’t be an option of hosting users either, and those who haven’t configured proper cronjobs 

How do you know that?

I have the impression, that you think nowadays it shouldn’t be that difficult to create a backup system, especially if you know a bit of programming. And because I could need it, it should be priority!

Of course I do, I didn’t even say that in my original post!

And as I have already said, it is everyone’s responsibility (Nexcloud, the community, the solution providers, etc.) to offer a native user backup system for all user data. But start with the basics: the stored files.

Yes I think so !

It is not for me, but for all users. As I have already said and repeated in this thread, data management is the core business of Nexcloud. So the preservation, the protection, the duplication, the synchronization of the data, like all good cloud file management systems. Before making calendars, notes or coffee, Nexcloud should already do this. That’s my opinion and I share it.

That’s not true. With Google Workspaces or M365 you don’t have a file backup solution integrated. You can only manually download a zip file with all your files. And when it comes to file versioning, Nextcloud is on par or nearly on par with other cloud solutions like Google Workspaces or M365

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/user_manual/en/files/version_control.html

An integrated file backup solution (snaspshots and file versioning are not backups) is the least needed imho. This is because the files are stored as normal files in the file system of the server. So they can be backed up with standard tools like rsync, rclone etc without having to mess with the database. And if you run your Nextcloud on a hosting service that you don’t have root access to, you can access the files via a standardized interface (webDAV) or use the sync client and then make a local copy/backup of the files, also with stadard tools. The possibilities are endless and relativley easy when it comes to just backing up your files. The “complicated” part is to backup the stuff, that is stored in the database like calendar, contacts, users, settings, etc

If anything, I would like to see a contacts and calendar export function. An import function already exists.

The homepage says it’s a on-premises sharing and collaboration platform. No special protection or preservation of data.

Perhaps git-annex is more suited for your purpose: https://git-annex.branchable.com/

So I was absolutely right 
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: