NextcloudPi Rsync config and use questions

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 11 Bullseye
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.56
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.21

The issue you are facing:
Confusion regarding nc-rsync and nc-rsync-auto

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

[ nc-rsync ] (Sun Oct 8 19:48:28 BST 2023)
Maintenance mode enabled
Host key verification failed.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(228) [sender=3.2.3]
Maintenance mode disabled

Steps to replicate it:

1. Open NCP Panel
  2. Navigate to nc-rsync or nc-rync-auto
  3. attempt backup

I am trying to find information regarding these two rsync related backup items in the NCP Panel. Everywhere I search leads to a dead end at this link: https://docs.nextcloudpi.com/en/configuration-reference/#nc-rsync-auto

Ultimately I’m trying to find out what data this backs up to determine if it will suit my needs for data redundancy. I can find information regarding Rsync itself, but nothing about this specific feature in NCP. The error above is due to me not configuring rsync correctly, and I understand that. But the verbiage is confusing me: 'user' needs SSH autologin from the NCP 'root' user at 'ip' for remote sync

Which user needs SSH autologin? Which root is this referring to? I’m sure I can figure out how to get that configured, but I can’ find info about what it is backing up and I can’t seem to find a way to customize that implementation of Rsync.

If someone could kindly point me in the right direction, I can then decide if this is what I need and if not, look at another solution. Goal is to back up NCP config/data to my local server (unraid) over SSH. But with a dead link and no mention of rsync in the NCP documentation now, I’m lost.

You can find NCP’s config reference here

Please let us know if that solves your problem, also on which page you found the dead link, so someone can edit it.

That is perfect, thank you!

The first dead links I found were posts on this forum from users asking questions, but I also found it on the “i” info link on the NCP Panel for rsync seen here:

I have not checked the rest of the panel exhaustively for other dead links, but that one for sure would need to be fixed.

I am still running into trouble following the instructions. When I attempt to switch to root using sudo su I receive the error:

This account is currently not available

I’ve been trying to figure out the way passed this part, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I was able to use the linked guide and give the user pi the ssh-autologin, as a proof of concept that my Unraid server could be reached this way and that worked fine. But of course NCP wants root so the handy rsync utilities in the panel still fails. Any advice on that would be most appreciated.