Nextcloud Talk Android: no push notifications

Iā€™ve had the same issue for a while, even before updating to NC 18. Iā€™m hosting NC on Debian 10 with Apache. Nextcloud was installed and has been updated manually using the tarball without issue; NC itself works fine and receives an A+ rating from the security scan. Push notifications used to work on this exact same machine, but one day when I got a new phone and installed Talk, when I logged in I saw a very quick message that said ā€œPush Notifications Disabledā€, even though I have the permissions for the app turned on in Android. This also seems to suppress my audio ringtones when receiving incoming calls. Audio and video both work fine once Iā€™m in a call, and if I have Talk open when I receive a call, the app shows the appropriate screen to accept/reject the call and whatnot, but thereā€™s no audible ringing, and no notifications about calls or instant messages in the Android app. Notifications for these events appear on the Nextcloud site, and in the Nextcloud desktop app just fine. I have to be actively in the app and looking at it to know if anything new happens.

Both Nextcloud and the Talk app are the latest stable versions.

Edit: Also, I saw this comment in another post, and have verified that all of my permissions are correct.

Just wanted to update that the day after I posted this there was an update for ā€œGoogle Play Servicesā€ on my phone, and notifications started working again for Nextcloud Talk after that update. My wifeā€™s phone on the other hand is a different model running an older version of Android, and notifications are still broken for her.

Do you mean @CVZalez somethingā€™s got to be done at the code level of android Talk to get notifications working when Google stuffs are off?
And thatā€™s whatā€™s been done at the Telegram app level by their devs?

This morning, notifications for some of my Nextcloud users and for me didnā€™t work.

I checked on logs, but nothing appeared.

So to check the problem I uninstalled mine and reinstalled it (v8.0.3).

I couldnā€™t login without putting the https port at the end of the domaineā€™s server. But even when I was in, the loading was nerver ending.

I uninstalled it again, and I installed a previous version (8.0.1).

Now I could get in easily and push notifications worked again like a charm.

You should always install the last available version to prevent possible problems which have already been solved. So my recommendation is to give Talk v8.0.4 a try :wink:

I meant on android app

What is essential to me, is that notifications works on mobiles.
The latest version 8.0.3 is about call notifications on watchs and on Android Q, but not seems to work on my samsung j6.
As soon as I installed the 8.0.2 version, all worked again and even faster than before without disable Batteries optimisations.

In my opinion NC Talk 8.0.3 is not better in daily practice as the 8.0.1 before.

I must send users a Text message shortly before i want to make a call.
That text message seems to wake up the device of the called person reliable.
Seconds after sending this text message starting a call (voice or video) delivers a nearly 98% reliable notification at the receivers side.

If i call directly minutes or hours after the last contact it is nearly 98% sure that the device wil not notify the receiver of a call.

This behaviour is since upgrade to the Android Q Junk of Google.

Never the less NC Talk has been my favorite app to make voice and video calls.

Would be very happy if one day the behaviour of nc talk like under android pie comes back again.

Havenā€™t tested the 8.0.4 so far because it isnā€™t available over google play store yet.

Just for the records - same problem here with Nextcloud Talk 8.0.10 on Android and Nextcloud 19.0.4 with signaling server. Nextcloud Talk works completely fine - but I never get any notification if someone sends a chat message in a conversion where I am also member. I also donā€™t get notified if anyone adds me to a conversion and starts a audio/video call.

Just figured that when you turn on ā€˜allow peekingā€™ under App notifications in Android you only get the notification in your screen but no ringtone when someone tries to call you via Talk. Perhaps that solves the issue for some.

Sorry for bumping this old topic, but I think I know the solution to the problem (not the source). For the record I use Nextcloud with nginx that has another nginx proxy server, so in topology it looks like that:
nginx (DMZ) ā†’ nginx (nextcloud@php-fpm)
^ and those are two separate machines

When I just updated the instance of Nextcloud Hub then notifications started to work, but when the SSL certificate on nginx (DMZ) expired then I lost my notifications. So I updated the certificate, restarted nginx (DMZ) and I still had no notifications. But when I restarted the php-fpm service on the second machine then notifications came back.
I donā€™t know, but maybe there is a slight correlation of SSL session, the php-fpm service and the android app and one should keep in mind that when one restarted reverse proxy then also php-fpm service should be restarted as wellā€¦?