Nextcloud setup for home advice

Thats sounds cool. Somewhere in the reddit, I see few ways to install OpenMediaValut on Pi4 and then use the docker containers for Nextcloud, pihole and maybe for wordpress website. How do you see this scenario? I would like to know about its limitations before I buy the hardwares. Pi 4 with 4GB ram, microsd card (but I would like to setup the boot from external ssd) and next cloud data. I want to have it the seperate 4TB hdd(exteernal storgae mount). on SSD: there will be the docker container which has nextcloud, wordpress and pihole. from your experience how do you see this setup? anything could be tweaked or reduced?

Hi again,

As KarlF12 said, that limitation is not from the docker container, it is from the ARM CPU. Here, my docker container runs in a Linux VM in my ESXi server. Thanks to that, it is running from an Intel CPU, so I do not have such a limitation.

As for putting everything on a PI, I would not do this for more then testing. The Raspberry PI is not meant to run a heavy server load 24/7. Often, it will heat just by doing some short but heavy jobs.

Here, I chose to build a cloud I would rely on for all my stuff. As such, I built it with enterprise grade server hardware, using enterprise class procedures.

Sounds like an awful lot of points of failure for something that won’t perform well, to be honest. If you have some of the hardware on hand already, I understand, but you can probably spend about the same money and get some real hardware.

Just as an example…

Dell PowerEdge R710 SFF Server 2x E5645 2.4GHz 12-Cores 48GB DDR3 2x 146GB 10K HDD H700 https://www.newegg.com/product/9SIAC0F9594721?m_ver=1

Cool. Actually not a bad idea. Thanks for suggesting this. unfortunately, it is available only in US. Maybe can you suggest something from this website: https://www.servershop24.de/en/server (I couldn’t find the same config) . I don’t have a server hardware level knowledge to choose something. Dunno what how it holds, bottlenecks.

For config: is it easier, just to install a linux or windows OS and setup a virtual box or FREENAS /OPENMEDIAVALUT and run everything as a docker container?

I also have a old laptop ( i7 processor tosibha, 8 GB ram) But it has some problem. Maybe I repair it and use it instead of buying it? What would you suggest? Since it runs 24/7. What about the electricity? I saw PI 4 r using Rockpro64 doesn’t take so much. Not sure about this server? Would be great if you could tell something about this.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the exact specs. Remember you were talking about running a Pi, and that server I linked has dual 12 core CPUs and 48 GB RAM. Didn’t have much storage but it had I think 6 drive bays available.

On mine I have allocated 4 cores and 8 GB RAM to my Nextcloud VM, and it uses only a fraction of that. I run Nextcloud, pfSense, a Starbound server for the kids, several other things, and then a whole test environment I use for work. About 8-10 VMs total most of the time.

As for power, the server I have is a different model, but it runs at 165W. I think it costs me about $4/mo in electricity. Only thing is it can be a little bit noisy.

1 Like