Nextcloud Quality and Release-Cycles

as @bb77 already hinted about:
of course bugs are sorted by the importance developpers are assinging it. I dunno which erorros you reported, when and where but Iā€™m sure they have been taken into account.

Mm we have been trying different solutions and some of them were not free.
They did not meet other criteria like UI or UX or were overly complicated.
We are testing Nextcloud on the community versions, and maybe we should not have been.
We might exclude Nextcloud as a viable option based on our testing of the community version. Maybe they are two different products, but it is not clearly written that community versions are more prone to bugs

1 Like

I think Nextcloud 27 has less bugs than Nextcloud 28. But there are only not the features from the last 6 month.

1 Like

Well, does the photo app want to be a photomanagement app? Or should we use memories instead. And if it should be used as photomanagement app, it should work properly and we should make it work that way.

So it is not always clear at which status certain apps and functions are, and what are the plans. E.g. client-side encryption was some time in alpha/beta status (great, you can test it, but you know it can have bugs, so you give it a look but donā€™t use it in production). Now, is it stable? The last major upgrade the app was released 1-2 weeks after the NC release.
It slipped through? Well, if the new release was tested, not this part. Or itā€™s badly organized that they donā€™t have a list of things to fix before the public release?

Whatā€™s the purpose of features, if they work somehow. If the gallery is ok for a few pictures, but do not use it for a large set of pictures. Or file sync, if it is not too much and not too many small files, it works great.

In such cases, it would be more honest to publish a pre-release, or feature preview (if they happen to be really stable, thatā€™s not a problem either).

Sure, the previous releases were less problematic. Perhaps it was bad luck in some parts.

Well, the enterprise version is the same code. The difference should only be in support. E.g. if you have support and there is a problem, you can call the support for help. For community users, you have to look for solutions yourself, see if apps are reliable enough for your purpose, ā€¦

Yeah, they donā€™t like to do that for some reason, donā€™t they? :wink:

Somehow that sounds similar to what Iā€™ve been reading for 15 years now in various internet forums, ever since I got interested in Linux and OSS. It used to be Linux vs. Windows Desktop, or Libre Office vs. MS Office, or Gimp vs. Photoshop. And all I can say is: the products of the billion dollar companies will always be more polished than the OSS alternatives, and often also have more features.

In recent years, the Linux desktop debate has flattened out, mainly because desktops like Gnome, KDE Plasma and Cineamon are actually as good or even better in some aspects than their commercial rivals, but also because people are now mainly using web apps, so the desktop and desktop apps are less important. But of course now we are comparing selfhosted FOSS web apps against commercial ones like Google Workspace or M365, so the same discussion starts all over again. :wink:

But yeah, at the end of the day everyone has to make a decision, which for me is: do I use FOSS software and live with the quirks that are undoubtedly there, or do I pay with my money and my soul :wink: and use SaaS from Google and MS instead, where by the way not everything is always perfect either, even though they spend a lot more money on development.

Small addition:

1. I can synchronise and upload (relatively) small files just fine. Just tested it with a folder of 1800 files (total 8.9 GB) via Desktop Client and via browser upload on NC 28.0.3.

2. The Photos app on Nextcloud does actually show all my photos when I open it.

But letā€™s say Bill is actually expiriencing issues with file sync and he also feels that the Photos app is lacking a lot of features.

Q: How does Billā€™s post help him to solve his sync issues and how does it help to improve the Photos app?

A: Iā€™m afraid it doesnā€™t help with neither of it.

Q: Why might that be?

A: Well, mainly because this is a community support forum and not customer service desk. :wink:

Q: What do you mean?

A: Maybe you can send something like Billā€™s post to a company you have a 5 or better 6 figure support contract with (Iā€™m not talking about licence costs, but additional support agreements) and then, if youā€™re lucky, someone will call you back and maybe ask the right questions until the problem is solved or at least a workaround is found.

However, in a community forum I donā€™t see the point of a post like that, or have you ever seen posts like this on a forum actually help anyone with a specific issue or change anything fundamentally?

1 Like

yeahā€¦ since itā€™s not true. Itā€™s the same basic code for both, community and enterprise-version.

1 Like

and last but not least you pay with your data!

2 Likes

Perhaps more special, but webserver (apache/nginx), database server, ā€¦ you have so many open source tools that work better than closed source stuff.
For data processing, Matlab is popular but very expensive, python, julia etc. are faster and more and more popular ā€¦ Raspberry Pi, increadible the number of projects, open home router software, ā€¦

well, we can work on it to make it better. And I donā€™t know anyone who reported something to Microsoft or Apple, that their issue got fixed even if they paid for the products.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say that it is because release cycle by itself. Those are just numbers. But the quality is going down, because many old bugs are not resolved, and communication about them is made to be as hard as possible to report.
There are problems iā€™ve and other people reported on github looong time ago (more than a half year) without any fixes.
When i report problem - there are always questions for more and more data, like there is no any kind of QA. Last time there was some small patch that i was asked to apply, that had mistake insideā€¦ I mean, really someone made those lines and didnā€™t even check before asking people to try them, if they are fixing another error?
So from my perspective for today - NC is working more or less fine related to file upload/download/share. Yes, there are some Android or desktop bugs and crashes, but well, it is just open source. But everything elseā€¦ Do not count that it will work correctly, without problems, or will be just stable It will never be. There is too much things, and NC team do not want to make it stable. Itā€™s like Linux rolling distro. New things, new features, etc.

1 Like

I have not experienced many bugs in the core itself. Usually it is the community apps which has bugs. So I - for one - would wish for more of the most popular apps to become part of core, hence be maintained and always updated as part of new releases. Yes that might slow down release cycles but it will feel like a more stable project.

This is an open source project, but there is a profit organization behind it. The code that benefits all of us, is mainly maintained by paid developers.

Is this FOSS project then bad quality? Well compared to Apache, OpenLDAP and other - much smaller projects - then yes this might be more buggy. But based on the sheer magnitude and functionality, I will claim that this is also one of the worlds largest Open Source Projects ever, with so many streams, that taking this complexity into account, it is Damn good quality.

That was my 50 cents on the topic.

1 Like

The software quality of Nextcloud has deteriorated enormously in recent times. One reason for this could be the high development pressure. Unprocessed errors are piling up and new ones are being added. Thatā€™s no fun anymore. In my opinion, the biggest problems at the moment are the problems with the desktop sync client and Office, the file locks that occur, ACLs in SMB are misinterpreted, files are deleted, the AI is faulty to unusable. Not mentioned are all errors 28.0.3.

3 Likes

So before it seemed to be ok? When did it start, is there version number or date you can tell that it changed? Not sure, perhaps Nextcloud changed something in their strategy or in their processes?

I havenā€™t used it yet. chatGPT and other companies, the first versions are never very good and features are pushed out quickly. And if you donā€™t have it, customers will not buy anything, because if you donā€™t have AI or blockchain, you are not among the cool kids.

For the record, this particular issue has been addressed and turned out to be a duplicate of this one.

Sure, but Google Chrome has Google money backing it up. They can hire an army of developers to work on it 24/7 if they wanted.

Most products out there do not have the cash Google has.

1 Like

I think, that like any piece of software there are ups and downs, but being a NC user for years now, I can honestly say that NC28 was really a bad release in terms of stability and errors, an above average case, and I am sure that many would agree here.

4 Likes

Sadly, I have gotten the same undercurrent vibe as you describe.

I get that perhaps they are trying to be direct, but that whole, "donā€™t provide too much criticism and if you donā€™t like it, then GTFO,ā€™ messaging that gets transmitted over the years gets stronger the more you read what seems to be an overly defensive tone. Both here and at times on their git. It will not help over time as more users get that same impression, even if they do not comment on it. But they see it. Just like I have.

As I was reading the responses to your post, the 'there is nothing wrong on our end, it is a ā€˜youā€™ issue vibe was obvious. There really was no need to take that approach out of hand, so it makes sense that you were left with having to point out at 100ā€™s+ examples. I mean, on this thread alone, I have so far seen NC compared Google. Like really?

Comparing Google Calendar to NC Calendar? Come on. These do not share the exact same number of users, scope, funding, quality of product and diverse use cases. Or comparing NC releases to Google Chromeā€™s? The most used browser in the world with an army of Devs behind it, with almost endless funding with NC? As a way to justify what seems like rushed releases on NCā€™s part?

Of course I do not expect the same but it should also not be used as a get out of jail free card, either. Which is how it comes across.

I mean, I for one also do not see external calendar subscriptions, either. I guess that is also a ā€œspecific issue with his instanceā€ problem despite not having done anything outside updating the Calendar App here and there, and I am on NC27 simply because the number of issues and delays with NC28. This illustrates that vibe that I was talking about.

And I say that, while still liking NC as a project and yeah, I too am looking at other options here and there, since bb77 is quite right, no one has to use NC, including corporate clients.

1 Like

For that reason I was asking, what problems they are referring to. I didnā€™t see many problems before either and the whole update procedure has improved a lot over time (e.g. compared to the times before it was forked from owncloud).

Iā€™d rather like to turn that around, and ask what can we do in the future to avoid such problems and improve testing. E.g. we do not know what is currently tested, and for what platforms/systems it would be most interesting to test. If there is the 100th tester that installs the update on a bare Debian server and tests the sharing feature ā€¦

But Microsoft has a lot of :moneybag: as well, and they managed to do :poop:
Sure money can help, but I think even with Nextcloud we can improve without more money

Sure, I am happy to have Nextcloud and donā€™t have to rely on google. I think on setting up a server, we can expect users to be a bit more committed to get into the details (or if not use a third party to do that), but for end users, it should be easier (ideally like google and others). And for the mobile client, you can use QR codes to connect your phone etc.), the desktop client, for me it worked not that bad, but there were a few problems. And there is not clear roadmap (next version schedule, supported versions (version support dropped during major release), ā€¦)

2 Likes

Well, maybe because you and many others are transmitting a ā€œmessageā€ with a certain undertone as well.

I canā€™t speak for the many developers in the Nextcloud community or the Nextcloud GmbH, but I would certainly get defensive if I had an OSS project and I got hit with posts starting with ā€œIā€™ve been using your software for years, butā€¦ā€, or someone told me I shouldnā€™t use the fact that the software I have worked on and shared with the community is free and open source as a ā€œget out of jail free cardā€.

I mean, what do I get from you by using my software, and why would I need a ā€œget out of jail free cardā€ in the first place?

The developers of any OSS project donā€™t have to explain to you why they made certain decisions, and they certainly donā€™t have to make excuses because they donā€™t want to implement your feature request, or because their product doesnā€™t meet your expectations or use case. But in many cases they do, because they usually care about their users, and because they want to make their product better.

But even if they wouldnā€™t care, it would be a legitimate choice on their part, so your arguments would still be untenable and your wording inappropriate.

Just my $0.05 on the subject. :wink:

2 Likes

well as you could read on the forum V28 was facing big changes in the code.

And yes, sure, there are versions that are not as good as others. I think v15 was the last difficult one. Things like this happen.
And I promise nobody wants to have them happening. Nobody!

But throwing mud at everything now and exaggerating about how bad everything got canā€™t be the right way. And it isnā€™t the right way!

Devs are trying their best to make it betterā€¦ and if you have reading the forum again there has been at least 6 beta-versions of v29. SIX!

Now hereā€™s a suggestion to you: OSS lives by and from and of itā€™s community. Apparently you have been using NC since years. It seems that this is the time where you can give back to the projectā€¦ why donā€™t you become a beta-tester and testdrive new versions before they are getting into the real world? Do it!

8 Likes