Nextcloud on Synology NAS

Dear Experts,
I was interested in to installed Nextcloud server on Synology NAS.

• Any one tried this before? Any suggestion?
  • What hardware recommendation of NAS?

I have already given you links in your previous post here. Where you could have just changed the title in Too lazy to search the forum…

There are a few topics regarding synology: https://help.nextcloud.com/tag/synology

How do you want to use the Nextcloud server, just for Nextcloud, or as well other features of the NAS within the local network. If it is a NAS, perhaps TrueNAS-based solutions are more interesting, since there is a partnership between Nextcloud and Truenas:

also it is based on open software.

If you want to have just Nextcloud, it is perhaps better to just use a server for Nextcloud, without any NAS. Hardware requirements depend a lot on the use case. For single-user setups to test etc. the raspberry pi 4 might be a good start (look at the NextcloudPi project delivering images for it.
You can also use IntelNUC device or other more powerful systems for more users and/or heavy usage.

Just a warning for the manual setup, if you don’t know anything, you probably have to invest some time to get familar with Linux systems and settings things up. Then, you need to update your system and Nextcloud. Nextcloud updates have to be done at least 1-2 times a year, to keep a steady update perhaps even 3-4 times. If you are familiar and everything is set up correctly, this won’t take very long.

With the NAS, you probably have less problems setting things up. However Nextcloud needs to be updated as well. I am not sure how it is done in these systems. In case you get problems, you need to dig deeper and that might happen when you don’t have time. Compared to the manual set up, where you have to dig deeper first, and being better prepared for later.

Hello, you could also try running AIO on your Synology. See GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All In One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.