Nextcloud Mail Server

Just to link to the app: https://github.com/nextcloud/mail

Also @ChristophWurst @Gomez and @jan are already here :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, itā€™s both. Itā€™s a file and ā€œdataā€ repo AND a GUI for both, but the current Mail app is a strange animal, because it manages data which sits outside of xyzCloud, so there is little reason to use it (just add contacts and calendars to a webmail instead), but itā€™s quite popular, so itā€™s here to stay and maybe one day it will store messages locally.

EDIT: Itā€™s true that some other apps also manage files stored on proprietary clouds, so maybe itā€™s not such a strange concept to manage external data.

1 Like

There are already great open source mail servers such as postfix or exim. Someone could provide a configuration sample for the mailserver together with a configuration interface plugin for owncloud (like postfixadmin or vexim).

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is necessary because all these standard tools live on their own. They have their own documentation and their own prerequisites.
The mail App just uses standard protocols in a standard way (yes, the mail.app developers even documented what has to be altered for google and for exim), so I assume all is covered. *cloud and mail.app are independent of the mail tools.

If you look for an easy way of self-hosting a mail server then http://mailcow.email might be worth a look. Otherwise the Owncloud (now Nextcloud :slight_smile:) mail app does the job for providing access to mailboxes IMO.

You should take a look at www.nethserver.org it has already integrated owncloud 9.x with one click install, making a module also for nextcloud would be very cool and interesting. NethServerā€™s straightforward to install and administrate, all through a modern webUI and based on CentOS
Iā€™m happy to see this new project, I have waited for @josā€™s next move for a while. Hi @jospoortvliet :wink:

Disclosure: Iā€™m the NethServer community guy :blush:

2 Likes

Beyond of what had be said, mail servers are too complex security-wise to be integrated into anything.

I think if Nextcloud find a way to make

https://protonmail.com

to create a plugin for Nextcloud would be a lot of more interesting for everyone.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the ā€˜noā€™ camp here. Where Nextcloudā€™s functionality excels is its ability to integrate with other solutions and serve as a central command, per-se. It shouldnā€™t be a mail server; it should be able to talk to one, though. Thatā€™s why the plugin architecture is fantastic for this.

A mail server is something completely different. If you want to have a PHP-JS-Mail-server you can always look for or create an app for that. Until then, you should try your own mail server and you will soon realize why there are so few rolling their own.
Including a mail server is a whole nother ballgame.
The Mail Client on the other hand is being worked on AFAIK.

Ok let met change my suggestion to improve the mail server integration instead of create a Nextcloud mail server :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

yeah, thatā€™s what the Mail app is all about. And we want to deeply integrate it, like Calendar and Contacts.

Hi @alefattorini !!! Nice to see you here. Nethserver offers a great base for Nextcloud, once we have our first release (very, very soon!) we can sure see if we can promote the combination :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe @ChristophWurst and @Gomez of the Mail app want to state their plans here? :slight_smile:

@xandcg just as a note ā€“ Protonmail claim they are open source but are not really, see https://twitter.com/jancborchardt/status/740219550805987332

This has been discussed before (canā€™t find the issue ATM) and I am still convinced that we should not re-invent the wheel. There is no sane reason to implement that ourselves if we can use a standardized protocol to communicate with existing, well tested, open source IMAP severs.

However, as mentioned, Iā€™d welcome if someone documents how admins can set up and configure the Mail app and an external (but on their own servers) mail server :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mail app + a good turnkey mail server easy to administrate + nextcloud installation with 1 click = awesome!

4 Likes

Caveat here: It is not so easy to setup your own mail server; with good reason, exim4 and postfix and dovecot documentation spans dozens of pages with myriads of topics; you want to have secure access, spam protection, user authentication, DKIM, MX failover, basic integration of virus protection - just to name a few. Thatā€™s all off topic here and well documented where it belongs to. We should concentrate on a working mail client integration - there are enough things to do and to contribute (like ics attachment detectionā€“> calendar; attachment handling --> data, signature handling).

I wholeheartedly agree, the last thing you want is to grow the army of misconfigured, unmanaged mail servers, ready to be abused by bots.

Mail-in-a-box is a mail server that (at the moment, at least) incorporates Owncloud 8.2 for contacts & calendars.

Sadly, the developer is looking for an alternative to owncloud due to some past problems with owncloud upgradesā€¦

2 Likes

perhaps a migration to Nextcloud would be a good idea :wink:

On the subject of a mail server as part of Nextcloud, that seems a very bad idea to me, to be honest. We built end user software, not such infrastructural things. It is not only a monumental task but also not suited to what we do.

I wouldnā€™t stop somebody who wants to write a new mail server but I donā€™t think it is something ownCloud needs, on the contrary.

4 Likes

Already warned ownCloud about this bad news (that mailinabox wants to go away from ownCloud).

Here is the issue if you want to discuss.

well I added a note that weā€™ve released Nextcloud 9 but it is up to them to spend/waste time on migrating to another tool of course.

1 Like