Nextcloud introduces Virtual Drive in Desktop Client to simplify desktop integration

This is a great feature and I canā€™t wait to try it in the Linux client when itā€™s available!

I vote for retaining both paradigms. As an example, pCloud, which I also use, supports both the cached virtual drive and hard-synced folder paradigms. It allows the flexibility to have a core set of folders that you always want synced, while allowing lower priority or lesser-used stuff to come and go. For me, the example is my core document and development directories, which I always want fully synced, and then hundreds of GB of camera raw files, which I definitely donā€™t want burdening all of my systems and would want those to be on-demand and cached, so I donā€™t need to manually sync and unsync them, as they are distributed in a multi-level directory hierarchy comprising dozens of folders.

5 Likes

I do not get any advantage from virtual drive in my use case and rely on folder sync to manage document retention and navigation structures. I can see how it is convenient for some use cases and may provide conceptual clarity for some users, but I rely on folder sync. Iā€™m sure there would be ways around the loss of such core functionality (symlinks etc, I suppose) but that starts making RSYNC look easier to manage.

4 Likes

I need to remove the beta client, because it started creating random folders in the root of the user, while crashing all the time.

For this, a bug should be filed. Do you have example names of those folders, or logs from the beta client? Any hints on how to get it to recur?

do I need to start that with a specific parameter, or is the log already dumped somewhere?

Looks like youā€™ll have to use one of several different parameters. If it were me, Iā€™d probably use ---logdir <directory> together with --logexpire <hours>. Iā€™d then add in a --logdebug if thereā€™s no discernible pattern.

I know it can help tremendously to have logs, so thanks for taking your time to do this!

tā€™s broken for me on Windows 10 latest Build.
Doken is successfully installed but seconds later nextcloud it says windows installer cannot open this package.
And the sync is halted on Waiting for syncā€¦ Please Advise.

1 Like

@jospoortvliet Would Be Nice if the Virtual Drive has this functionality as well.

File Locking ā€“ Easy Collaboration

Virtual Drive will automatically lock a file (aka check-out file) in the server for editing. When a file lock is in place, others will not be able to save the file, preventing any conflicting changes to the file.

This will help a lot with conflict Files.

1 Like

Same problem bro.

Owncloud has introduced this with 10.1 ā€¦ normally this will be copied by the devs here quickly.

Itā€™s more than a month since the preview announcement, is there any roadmap or any further hope to make this feature possible?

1 Like

an roadmap when it is planned to be available for daily use would be awesome. I know open source didnā€™t work that way, but for customers it is importend to give feedback when stuff will be available.

Great feature. I am very excited about the upcoming linux version :+1:

I uninstalled my normal nextcloud client and chucked the local folder. Then I ran the install.

The install process brings up this error after the Dokan business:

Nextcloud%20Tech%20Preview%20install%20error%20message

The application shortcut at the right on Windows 10 shows two Apps links. The shortcut to Nextcloud folder does nothing.

I find that I can indeed move items not synced to my machine from the server. That is the feature I was interested in of course, since the server holds more than I want to keep on my desktop.

Trouble is, items Iā€™ve dropped into the virtual drive folder that was created do not sync. Itā€™s been half an hour or more and one file was that screen shot I posted. Is it to do with that error message? I have no idea.

Certainly not ready for prime time and Iā€™m going to have to remove it since on this machine it is not doing what I need it to do, sync local files with the server.

2 Likes

Mountain Duck finally released version 3.0 and now has exactly the same features of a ā€œvirtual driveā€ (called ā€œSmart Syncronizationā€):

https://trac.cyberduck.io/wiki/help/en/howto/mount/sync

1 Like

I wanted to install the app on my TV Box running Android 9 but the Playstore said that it isnā€™t compatible. Can anyone tell me what special features the app uses so it isnā€™t compatible with my Android box?

Regards

Kelsey

BlueMail for Android herunterladen

errrā€¦ this thread is about an upcoming/new version of the client for desktops (which is: windows, linux, mac). ā€¦ so you better should try installing nextcloud for android from google playā€¦ and then post your problems/questions in the referring (sub)forum

is there now a newer version of the preview client available, or still the 4 month old version?

1 Like

Still the old version, our developer is sick at the moment but when sheā€™s back I know this is high on the priority list. And weā€™re trying to hire a second full-time desktop client developer!

6 Likes

That sounds very good!

1 Like