Nextcloud introduces Virtual Drive in Desktop Client to simplify desktop integration

This would be an absolute show stopper for me. In that case, I donā€™t see any use of virtual files at all.

BTW: I have tried the ā€œvirtual filesā€ feature with the owucloud client (and nextcloud server), which worked fine.

2 Likes

Exactly, these are also my concerns that I have tried to explain. Thanks for explaining it correctly!

2 Likes

I must say that i lost this thread somewhere.

Maybe it would be good to start a new one, as it`s not possible to read through a whole year.

a knew one should start with a description of virtual drive, features and functions in comparison to the classic client.

Also a statement if both are kept on the roadmap, they will be merged or one is skipped is necessary.

2 Likes

I agree. My impression is that this thread is filled by unfounded speculations.
We know that this functionality exists with other cloud providers. I would welcome it in NC too.

I know some organisations that need this kind of functionality. This may be an international organisation with members in areas with slow internet connection. It is not practical for them to have all files synced as they may only need some specific file from the cloud. Or I have lots of data in the cloud and only a small diskdrive in my laptop.

I think the best we can do for the moment is to try the beta-version and give feed back to those working on it instead of complaining about things we have not yet seen. That would help those working on it to provide a good solution when it comes.

Hi all! Finally, what is expected release date for this feature? This is a great and very expected thing.

Best wishes,
Stefan

And news about the Release Date of the Virtual Drive? The announcement was done one year ago now. The feature would be really great.

:face_vomiting::sob: nope :-1:
Maybe itā€™s part of the great announcement of next fridayā€¦ :man_shrugging:
Maybe @camila can tell us what is all a about

still nothing new hereā€¦? this feature would make nextcloud superior to any other solution for everything.

They havenā€™t the staff needed to code it well and on time.
They have a lot of issues with it. The Test V1 and V2 are completely brokenā€¦
So they stopped advertising on this feature because of the delay they got to have it fine.

Nextcloud have a lot of issues those times :
Collaboration of OnlyOffice and their strange Licensing (20 Users) OpenCore
Nextcloud Desktop client who is really buggy after v2.3.3 (linux os x and windows)
Nextcloud Virtual Drive sync still isnā€™t ready
Nextcloud Photo who lacks a lot of features (this will be corrected soon)

They have a lot to do and they donā€™t have enough hands.

1 Like

It is a real shame that this feature was abandoned :frowning:

You could always start contributing :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s not abandoned, itā€™s delayed.
There is still some work done on itā€¦ but itā€™s not ready

I also would love to see this feature. Very sorry that I cannot help.

So, I will wait and really looking forward to the Virtual Drive.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been trying Mountain Duck (trial version but you have to pay a license after 14 days) and it does exactly what a virtual drive is supposed to doā€¦ Canā€™t wait to see the same by NextCloud I am willing to pay to get this feature to my users (not as much as Mountain Duck please) !

Go on Github and ask for news about that.
Itā€™s been so long that am i totally demotivated to ask again.

Why was this approach chosen when Windows has a native API to handle this? Seems like itā€™d be a much cleaner implementation than creating a virtual driveā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of a moot point because many typical applications have to read the full file when opening anyway, so it doesnā€™t make much difference as far as bandwidth use whether youā€™re caching a local copy.

Try playing a videoā€¦ The delay downloading a few gb, especially over Internet is considerable.

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re getting at here. The data is crossing the wire either way unless you already have it cached.