Nextcloud install option during Ubuntu server installation?

Sorry for a noob questionā€¦ When you install a standalone Ubuntu server, there is an option to install Nextcloud with it. What kind of installation is that? Docker, snap, something else? I only have experience with manual installs, after the server has been already installed and running, which requires Apache and bunch of other prerequisites to be installed prior to installing Nextcloud, so I was wondering if this is an easier and cleaner option to install Nextloud in the future? Will this also be easier to maintain and update? This would be a dedicated Nextcloud server, by the way, nothing else will be running on it. Thanks!

This oneā€¦ https://snapcraft.io/nextcloud

Documentation:

Ah, so snap? Much appreciated and thanks for such a quick answer :slight_smile: Looks like this may be a better and quicker way to install Nextloud than what I have done so far!

BTW, Digital Ocean has a page on snap installation too on an existing server:

Hmmmā€¦ on the other hand, after reading this, it may be actually a better idea to stick to the traditional Nextcloud install. Iā€™ve installed snap on a VM and I have some errors in Nextcloud that require me to tweak Apache and PHP settings that donā€™t seem to be (easily?) accessible under snap installation. I also use Webmin and using snap complicates things for me.

It is definitely the quickest and easiest way to get Nextcloud up and running. Whether it is the best option depends of course on your specific requirements and use cases.

I donā€™t use the Snap myself, so I canā€™t speak from personal experience, but the Snap definitely offers less flexibility and tuning options than a manual setup, but if the out-of-the-box features and performance of the Snap are sufficient for you, it is certainly a viable option.

However, you might also want to take a look at Nextcloud-AIO, which I think is definitely a step or two ahead of the Snap in terms of out-of-the-box features, and itā€™s generally better optimised. Plus, itā€™s the only official Nextcloud appliance out there :slight_smile: GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: The official Nextcloud installation method. Provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.

1 Like

Thanks again! Yes, I already noticed that snap is less flexible, even for my simple, single-user scenario. Iā€™ll look into the AIO next. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes