Nextcloud hangs on/stuck on : CAN_INSTALL file missing after upgrade

Hello there,

Since i upgraded my ubuntu-system and upgraded nextcloud i get the following message in my browser pointed to my nextcloud instance:
"It looks like you are trying to reinstall your Nextcloud. However the file CAN_INSTALL is missing from your config directory. Please create the file CAN_INSTALL in your config folder to continue."

If i create the file in /var/www/nextcloud/config i get the same message.
If i shut down the apache daemon I still get the same message!
If i move the whole nextcloud folder i still get the same message.

It began with a certificate that wasnt valid anymore. Tried to run certbot but that didnt work because it had to reach port 80 which wasn’t open because i want it to listen on secure port 443. So i tried to upgrade nextcloud and after that ubuntu and now I’m stuck. I searched the whole internet for this sentence but im running in circles now. Can somebody please help me?

Would be great!

Maarten

Nextcloud version: Nextcloud 16.0.1
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 18.04
Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
PHP version: PHP 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (cli)

Did you give www-data:www-data ownership to the CAN_INSTALL file in your /var/www/html/config (or the path where your config folder is) folder? I just did and that made it work for me :slight_smile:

@Archehandoro I’ve got the same problem. Where may I find the CAN_INSTALL file if it’s not in the nextcloud config folder? :thinking:
thx

You must create the file. A simple: touch CAN INSTALL will do :slight_smile:

Tried using touch, but it just takes me to re-install Nextcloud completely as opposed to finishing the upgrade process. See Error updating NextcloudPi from 20.0.0beta4 to RC2 due to Dashboard

For me the issue was that the hard drive where nextcloud is installed was full and hence the config.php was not written correctly. I freed up space, restored the config.php from a backup and everything was running again.

7 Likes

Yes, I found this same problem. Cheers!

1 Like