Nextcloud freezes when creating new user

Nextcloud version : 25.0.1
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 22.04
Apache or nginx version: newest Apache
PHP version : 8.0

The issue you are facing:

Hi,
when I try to create a new user in my new Nextcloud, it just freezes and I have to reload the page to operate it again. I cannot create a user.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : YES

Steps to replicate it:

1. install new Nextcloud with PHP 8.0
  2. try to create new user
  3. et voila it freezes

Admin Log:

https://hastebin.com/ofibuwikol.json

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'ocnil1d5243f',
  'passwordsalt' => 'even more secret',
  'secret' => 'verySECRET',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'idontknow',
    1 => 'idontknow',
    2 => 'www.idontknow',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/html/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.1.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://yesplease.nl/nextcloud',
  'dbname' => 'database_who',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'user',
  'dbpassword' => 'Password123',
  'installed' => true,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:
there is none

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

´

you log shows this is obviously not a new installation so I cannot reproduce it.

Hi,
I installed it this day and just moved some files from another Nextcloud to this new installation. Nothing more.

Exact same Problem for me.
Is there any reason in Focus?

I have the exact same problem after upgrading 4 instances from 25.0.0 to 25.0.1.
Evan a new installation shows this problem.

In my case, Nextcloud is also freezing, when clicking on dashboard on the “Status” button or “Change” button.

It’s the same for me.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Same problem here, clean new installation:

PHP Version: 8.1.12
Memory limit: 600 MB
Max execution time: 3600

MySQL Type: mysql
Version: 10.1.48

I can partially reproduce the issue. The “add user” interface is definitely kind of wonky. In my main browser (Firefox) I have not been able to get it to appear and the tab freezes at least temporarily. In Chromium I managed to get the interface to show up after clearing the browser cache.

EDIT:
Tested a little bit more. In Firefox it works now too. But it takes about 2-3 seconds before the interface appears. If I click it away and open it again it takes 5-6 seconds and then each time, I try to open it, it takes a little bit longer, until I refresh the browser tab, then it takes about 2-3 seconds again.

Why are you using Ubuntu 18.04 for a clean new installation? 18.04 will only receive regular LTS support until April 2023…

I assume you are using MariaDB (MySQL is on 8.0 currently) 10.1 is no longer supported according to the system requirements. So you gonna have to use a newer MariaDB version, either from here, or you could start fresh using Ubuntu 22.04, which I would recommend.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply.

MySQL, yes you are correct, it is MariaDB (sorry, my bad!)

In relation to clean installation, I referred to a clean Nextcloud installation.

EDIT:
Yes, I managed to see the “Add User” interface in Chrome.
Safari is not showing the interface even after 20 seconds. I just get the message “this website is slowing down your computer…”

Thank you for the work around!

1 Like

Same here, fresh installation , aarch64; apache2 instead of nginx , but i have only mac around , safari…yeah, and i even get the green check mark…weird part is NC has no related log output…why? just give you a frozen interface and a crazy CPU fan, maybe i will try chrome tomorrow

It’s a known bug, will be fixed in 25.0.2: [Bug]: Infinite recursion during creation of users · Issue #35056 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

2 Likes