NextCloud Box & Raspberry PI 3 Image - Availability & Download?

Thank you very much for your work on Nextcloud, do you have any update about the new release for the raspberry pi 3? any ETA?

Regards,
Nelson.

Friends, with regards to Pi3 support - we promised December 9, we promised a week later but sadly we still haven’t found a good solution for what we’re trying to do (make it super easy to connect to a box without knowing it’s IP address).

While we keep working on a solution, probably coming in January now, we are discussing if we could publish the current work-in-progress as a beta/test version for those able to use SSH themselves. I will keep you updated on that conversation!

1 Like

jospoortvliet, thank you for the update.

+1 for beta/test release

More than happy to download an image, install, test, and provide feedback. Heck! If I understood your challenge, be happy to spend a few hours working the problem to provide potential solutions.

Cant you just assign the box a localhost name… Know this is a little out of my league but something akin to avahli/zeroconf or perhaps even run an internal DNS only avalible on the local network to resolve a name?
(aka router.asus.com) http://superuser.com/questions/1041180/how-does-my-router-resolve-a-url-like-http-router-asus-com-to-its-ip-address Also seen vendors use an applet/plugin to find their device on the local network using a MAC address…

Just some random thoughts…

The problem is how make the firts configuration? Chromecast use a extension for chrome to discover the device and firts config.

We don’t have a beta/test image yet, but we did put the current image online: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/images/

Hey.

Is there any other problem, or just the one you have to know the IP of your raspberry 3?

Greetings

The image supports the raspberrypi 3? I copied the image via dd to sd-card an it doesn’t boot.

I created an SD card as well using the gnome disks utility (which has worked to make usable MATE and LibreElec Raspberry Pi 3 SD’s). This resulted in a bunch of scrolling text eventually leading to a prompt asking me to press enter to configure. Doing so caused an error message to flash insanely quickly (something about the disk possibly being corrupt) and returning to the click enter to configure prompt. It does this about 5 times before just hanging on the cursor indefinitely.

I have moved on to using a guide posted by Martin Wimpress to get nextcloud running on a Pi3 (includes editing a file in vi, which I’d never used before, that was fun to figure out). I have Nextcloud installed now and am just figuring out how to use it.

Nice! Going to give the guys a few more days to release. In the meantime, utilize the guide you found. My wife is losing patience. :smiley:

Is this only an Ubuntu Core dilemma with Nextcloud? I have had Nextcloud working on my Pi 3 with Raspbian ever since Nextcloud launched

This is relevant to the image provided with/for the Nextcloud Box product. They have been promising support for the raspberry pi 3 out of the box for a little while now. Currently they don’t have an image all ironed out. It has been possible to get nextcloud (I’m pretty sure even owncloud before the split) to work on Pi’s in general for some time. It just requires some know how and setup. The Nexcloud Box is supposed to be a super simple and affordable way to get started with your own nextcloud server. My understanding is the image works well for the Pi 2 and nothing else currently.

1 Like

@Boballen55 you’re completely correct on every count. As a matter of fact, there is support for Nextcloud on Berryboot, which does run on the RPI2 and the RPI3 (32bit for both, though). You can find Berryboot here: http://wdlabs.wd.com/downloads/

@oparoz you might find that worth sharing. I’ll add it to the wiki…

Well, it seems it’s also possible to simply install the Pi3 Ubuntu Core image and then install the snap and mount the HD in /media, but that’s not ideal or automated.

Right now advanced users should get prepared by following these guides:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/raspberry-pi-2/

Skills required:

• Ubuntu account creation
  • Good understanding of SSH key management
1 Like

Is setting up an Ubuntu Core image, installing the snap and mounting the HD somewhere under /media really all to set up my box manually? Or does the image, once it is released, anything else?

Maybe it would make sense to provide at least a detailed step by step documentation, technically experienced people can follow. My Nextcloud Box is unused since I got it in November. That is an zu unsatisfiying situation.

The image for the box is different in the sense that the OS is partitioned to use the hard drive without having to mount it under /media. Then there is a lot of testing taking place to make sure we don’t run into hardware issues, as opposed to the generic image, delivered as-is.
Apart from that, I think you’re getting the same software. Our main concern is to make it easy for anybody to be able to use the box 15 minutes after the 1st launch. That’s the hardest part.

Hi Guys,

First I want to thanks for your effort and work on this great product!, I would like to know when will be out the release for the nexcloud box with Raspberry pi 3, It suppose to be supported on novembre 16 (three months ago), and there are no news or updates in the page nexcloud.com/box about this, I have been waiting since november and my Box is useless and getting dust, please let me know any ETA or at least a good tutorial to install the nexcloud on RPi3 (with nginx if possible) .

Thansk in advance.

Regards,
Nelson.

1 Like

If you want to use your Raspberry Pi 3 with the box hardware (HDD, power supply and case), you can follow the install instructions on https://www.c-rieger.de/nextcloud-installation-guide/. Howsoever, this has nothing to do with the Snap install delivered on the SD card which came with your box (and so far only runs with Raspberry Pi 2).

I’m still waiting for an update of the Snap install, too, as my kid wants her Raspberry Pi 2 back.

Hello oparoz,

im very excited about your project to convert the software to raspberry pi3.

When we can expect a solution for this problem?

I’d like to hear an update as well. I have put off the purchase of the Box because it does not (officially) support the Pi 3 yet. Using a Pi 2 is not an option for me, because where I want to use the Box I only have access to a wireless connection (which is not supported by the 2).