Nextcloud App for BigBlueButton integration

@fundecassa
I haven’t looked at mobile yet - my guess is moodle is using Cordova to have webrtc within the webview.
It’s on our todo to have a Cordova app for our nextcloud instance. Will share when it’s ready. Real soon.

1 Like

https://github.com/sualko/cloud_bbb/blob/master/lib/Settings/Admin.php

https://github.com/sualko/cloud_bbb/blob/a888627e1436bd035e2cc35703a66810cfada800/lib/Controller/JoinController.php#L114-L117

2 Likes

I suggest to rename your app to avoid confusion with Talk.

If the talk apps does not work yet you might comment the view.

well … as it seems there is a kind of urgency connected to this matter.
so to get it done as fast as possible it would be helpful if this app would be on the appstore. just as “quick and dirty” (no offense meant @ramezrafla) as it is now… if the only thing that is missing is the release to appstore.

let’s call this a “first step”

in following steps it could be written anew, if neccessary… but this will take time, that we don’t really have on that subject. videoconferencing is needed now. the original talk for community isn’t really usable for more than 3-4 ppl.

so i’m suggesting to get the finished app out to the world asap. - and then think about polishing it.

1 Like

You are never unobserved :joy:

It’s a bit sad that we have now two applications for the same purpose, but I was not aware of that talk fork. Maybe we can cooperate, see https://github.com/ramezrafla/spreed-bigbluebutton/issues/10

I’m currently preparing the first release and I think it will be published in the next hour. Would be great if we could have only one bbb app for Nextcloud.

2 Likes

Very cool. Again! It is awesome to have BBB or maybe Jitsi integration in Nextcloud. This can be alternatives to Nextcloud Talk. No problem here. But this need to be separate apps with separate names and IDs. Just forking Talk and patching BBB support in is not cool and not supportable. So as long as this are separate apps that don’t collide then all is awesome. As a check. It should be possible to install Nextcloud Talk and this other BBB/Jitis integration apps in parallel without PHP/JS Code conflicts or UI and Usability issues. Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FYI: First version of (standalone) BBB integration released: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/bbb

If you like to contribute and enhance this integration, please open an issue or pull request. I’m also happy to add more people to the repository.

The following things are on the roadmap for the next release:

• translation (#2)
  • own file share point (currently the app is creating a share with a validity of one day) (#1)
  • Nicer join page (room name and so on)
7 Likes

There is a new category for this app for further discussions:
https://help.nextcloud.com/c/apps/bigbluebutton

1 Like

Agreed, the intent was never to continue having the same name forever. Just a first step.
We’ll be releasing it to the store soon.

1 Like

very impressive :slight_smile:

I need the tuto for bbb integration with nextcloud

@frank
We tried to make changes to our fork so it is independent from NC Talk and hit roadblocks
The core of NC has hooks for Talk (i.e. spreed)

I don’t see anyone wanting to install multiple conferencing systems. So having Talk being installed with something else is not just realistic. And Talk has some cool features and integrations with files and calendar.

To be honest, a better alternative to all that we have a single NC Talk which supports both the internal signalling server and BBB / Jitsi. We already did the heavy-lifting for BBB. Can we just work with the developers of Talk and have multiple options for conferencing?

That should be the ideal option instead of this proliferation of conflicting apps.

7 Likes

I also think it would be more elegant if there was a selection in Talk: with BBB / Jitisi as an option.

6 Likes

You are definitely right. There must be a way to integrate Jitsi, BBB and may be others (open-source!) together with the actually foreseen, costly, signaling server connections.

2 Likes

:wave: your definitely right!

1 Like

May be such a bot could be a solution too?

1 Like

Oh my god, a working videoconference integration within Nextcloud would be just awesome. I really think it should be within Nextcloud Talk, since it’s just very good for chat and this functionality would perfectly fit in the gap of not be able to videoconference and the “not reinventing the wheel” idea of nextcloud.

2 Likes

:+1: I agree

Great. Just to be clear. When I mentioned that is should be possible to install Talk and your app in parallel then I didn´t want to suggest that this makes sense for users. But it´s a good test that the code and namespaces of the apps don´t collide. Because this would be bad coding style and dangerous. If this is all fine then I suggest you should publish it at apps.nextcloud.com to get more feedback from users.

@ramezrafla
Are you still planning to publish your app in the App Store?
I would be very happy!

1 Like