Nextcloud AIO docker, all running, but missing things in nextcloud and talk does not work

Okay, I started down a rabbit hole that I made. It appears somehow I was not fully getting my wireguard vpn shutdown, because after a restart of ubuntu the nextcloud container downloaded the apps fine, but only because I left the wireguard container down.

Here is that test again first with the wireguard vpn up which caused it to hang, and then with it down which let it start downloading.

$ sudo docker exec -it nextcloud-aio-nextcloud wget https://github.com/nextcloud-releases/calendar/releases/download/v4.1.0/calendar-v4.1.0.tar.gz
Connecting to github.com (140.82.112.3:443)
^C$ sudo docker exec -it nextcloud-aio-nextcloud wget https://gith.com/nextcloud-releases/calendar/releases/download/v4.1.0/calendar-v4.1.0.tar.gz
Connecting to github.com (140.82.112.3:443)
Connecting to objects.githubusercontent.com (185.199.109.133:443)
saving to 'calendar-v4.1.0.tar.gz'
calendar-v4.1.0.tar.   3% |    

Okay, so I guess I am back to an issue with my wireguard I need to figure out.

Is anyone else using nextcloud AIO docker on ubuntu or similar while also using wireguard vpn to share it out over a VPS, that can help identify what may be wrong with my wireguard config? I have my wireguard config back up at the top posts.

I have done some testing to try and lead me to the exact cause, but I am not there yet. Here is what I am fairly certain of so far. The wireguard tunnel configuration is not the cause because I duplicated the exact same setup and even copied the config files over to an instance running behind a cable modem internet and it had no issue. I have tried two instances of it on my local network and have had the exact same results I talked about in the posts above.

Still doing more testing to try and understand what the cause is. I had also tried a router reset to defaults, but no change.

I have narrowed it down one step further, but now just leaves me more puzzled. I have been using a ubuntu VM on my laptop for testing and gives me the same results on my home network. I even directly connected to the TMobile gateway over wifi to eliminate anything else on my network and I get the same results.

Now I hot spot my Tmobile cell phone and the issue is gone, with everything working fine… I have rebooted the gateway a few times since starting this project, so I am just not sure what about the gateway can be causing the installation to hang just before it creates the keys, or if I get it to install by stopping the tunnel, then the DNS does not work right to show the apps and such… Very odd to me and I want to take the troubleshooting further, just stalled on what to do next.

I still do not know the cause, but I have a workaround that appears to be working for the time being. All of my testing was with wireguard and nextcloud on the same ubunutu instance. Even tried wireguard in a docker too, but all gave me the issue when wireguard was running.

I am now running wireguard on a different ubunutu instance and pointing it at my nextcloud ubuntu IP. This is working for now and I am running out of ideas for the cause.