Nextcloud 12 release channel

It is not being listed as RC on nextcloud.com.

Downloading Nextcloud via nextcloud.com leads to the nc12 release which is not stable so far without any warning. And there is text about release channels, but it’s unclear which version one has to install in case one wants to use the production channel.

I just noticed that “release channel” would also acronym to “RC”.

Potentially one has to clarify that RC does not mean "release channel"
but be really explicit “release candidate RC”.

And maybe add the warning right below: This version can still contain
bugs and is NOT meant for production. ?

:wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

@shoeper

so if i’d use your link in your posting above and then select “download” and “server” i’m ending up on nc 12.0.2
which is the latest stable release. by definition. so how do YOU come to the result that it is not stable at all?

“stable” doesn’t mean without any bugs (which is merely impossible). and thus devs are doing their best to eliminate bugs.

yes - and it says cleary:

Betas and release candidates are the versions of choice for testers in preparation for an Nextcloud release.

you’re right in this point. you don’t find any information about this on the homepage. if you’d go to your nc-gui and log in as admin - go to admin and see “version” - you can chose a release-channel there yourself (depending on your installation - there some where you can’t choose). but - as the text there says - you can’t downgrade from a stable version in any way. even if you would change channel to “production” it would only change within months, i guess.

but hey - it’s wasn’t clear in any way that you were looking for a production-version. production isn’t stable and you have been referring to stable until your last sentence of your latest posting.

:rofl: :star_struck:

But nowhere is mentioned which release channel a version belongs to. That’s the issue (the whole post was about and which has not been fixed since more than 2 months (and would be easy to fix).

I would like to take this time to thank the creators and developers that allow me to utilize a program like this at no cost. I recognize the only thing you folks get in return is our feedback to help create a refined and better product.

I cannot for the life of me imagine calling your company out on such minor shortcomings as this post brings up.

Thank you once again. As any level headed developer would do, I will consider my existing client base (myself included) before introducing any new version of an opensource product (beta or not).

I will install it only with the recognition that there may be disruptions that I am not prepared for so should test this independently before affecting any infrastructure I rely upon.

I would then provide my feedback if there are problems and be grateful for the free effort you are providing to work things out in the time possible.

Sincerely,

Jay
CompuMatter

3 Likes

ummm. as you can see it’s just an enhancement, not an error or bug. so i assume, pretty low priority for devs.

Github issue was created, so let’s close this here. Documentation and Homepage are available on github and pull requests for improvements are welcome.

1 Like