New App: HLedger Plain Text Accounting

Is it going to be mobile-friendly? One reason I wanted to use HLedger over Nextcloud is so I can seamlessly track my finances on a mobile app and on my laptop. Ideally, together with friends with whom I share the file.

The web app should be as mobile friendly as other Nextcloud apps.

I’d also like it to be compatible with a true mobile app. Is there a mobile app you use with hledger now? I haven’t tried any of them yet.

One idea would be to try to implement the JSON API from hledger-web as a Nextcloud REST API so those mobile apps can interact with Nextcloud like they do hledger-web.

For any interested, here is what’s on the docket for the first milestone. It’s what we think we need done before we try to get published in the app store.

High level goals:

• The basic capabilities of hledger-ui in a NC web app
  • Secure
  • Reliable
  • Easy to install and use

Here’s a demo site for anyone interested in trying it out.

1. It defaults to a balance sheet report.
  2. Click an account name to view the account register.
  3. Click the edit button on a transaction to edit the transaction.
  4. Try adding transactions.

I’d call this “proof of concept” software. There are hacks and shortcuts and I am brand new to Nextcloud and VueJS, so learning as I go. There are still a few features needed as well but hopefully this shows the idea.

Hi there, it seems, that the demo site (https://demo.hledger.cloud/) is dead, or is it only me?

I stopped maintaining it. I posted about it here. I think the domain is expired now. No one was using it at the time. Sorry, I still think it’s a good idea to have an accounting app like hledger in nextcloud but I had too much on my plate.

I think it is a great idea. It need not start as an enterprise level app. Something that tracks projects, has a pricelist and lets you record your time and expenses would be fantastic. Yes, all all the different GAAP charts and bells and whistles could come later, but anything that better helps Nextcloud meet the needs of most small businesses would be welcomed.

1 Like