NC17 update - ! disable group folders app before performing the update of your server!

Hello everyone,

There is an issue right now with the group folders app which may leave you with a blank page during the update to NC17.

Please make sure to disable the app ā€œGroup foldersā€ before you perform the update to NC17 via the web updater!
After the update to NC17 check that the app ā€œGroup foldersā€ is updated to version 5.x.
If not, update the app manually. After the app update, you can enable ā€œGroup foldersā€ again.

In case you already ran into this issue, please:

• login to your server via ssh
  • run the occ command ā€œupgradeā€:
    sudo -u <web user> php /path/to/nc/occ upgrade

Ref:

3 Likes

I read somewhere that all of the apps should be disabled before attempting any upgrade; is that still true? Or just ā€œgroup foldersā€ if itā€™s present?

I have a lot of NextCloud apps to upgrade (probably thousands) so Iā€™m looking for a smart way to automate this. I thought about running this:

UPDATE `{$PREFIX}appconfig` SET `configvalue`='no' WHERE `appid`!='core' AND `configkey`='enabled' AND `configvalue`='yes'

And that does appear to work, but it leaves the app looking rather bare after the upgrade so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a good idea or not. This is the list of apps that it disables for an upgrade from 16.0.5:

accessibility
activity
bruteforcesettings
cloud_federation_api
comments
dav
federatedfilesharing
federation
files
files_pdfviewer
files_rightclick
files_sharing
files_texteditor
files_trashbin
files_versions
files_videoplayer
firstrunwizard
gallery
logreader
lookup_server_connector
nextcloud_announcements
notifications
oauth2
password_policy
privacy
provisioning_api
recommendations
serverinfo
sharebymail
support
survey_client
systemtags
theming
twofactor_backupcodes
updatenotification
viewer
workflowengine

I notice that ā€œgroup foldersā€ isnā€™t there; is that an optional app you would have installed yourself?

Any advice you can give would be great. If I can just check for an app named ā€œgroup_foldersā€, or something, and disable it if present then that would be a nice simple solution.

For now (update to NC17) this has to be done only for the optional app ā€œGroup foldersā€.
So usually you donā€™t have to disable any apps. Nextcloud disables incompatible apps itself during the update process.
Here there was just an issue with the upgrade path.

To be on the safe side and if you want to avoid any issues which slipped through in the Beta phase you can of course disable all apps yourself before upgrade.
This was the first issue with an app for a long time for me however.

The way I understand your code line, it only disables all your apps. It doesnā€™t really update the app.

To update all apps at once via automatism, there is an occ command:
sudo -u <web user> php /path/to/nextcloud/occ app:update --all

So you could probably combine all that.

1. disable all apps with your command
  2. run the NC update
  3. update all apps (if not automatically done by the update) with the occ command
  4. enable all the apps with your slightly adapted command (SET ā€˜configvalueā€™=ā€˜yesā€™)

Yes, this app is not shipped by default. You would have to download it from the store. So only users who (use this app or) had the app downloaded and enabled before, are affected.

2 Likes

I am lucky, have had group folder app installed but it seems not in use anymore. I am removing it right now and waiting for further information.

EezssyklZz

-------- Messaggio originale --------

im my case ( shared Hosting all-inkl.de with ssh )

• ssh-connect to my account (mobaxterm or something)
  • I changed temp. the permissions of occ to 777 (/mycloudinstallation/occ)
  • cd /mycloudinstallation/
  • php73 ./occ upgrade

thats it

2 Likes

@Schmu That was just what I needed, thanks!

1 Like

what I think is a bit frustrating/confusing: in the settings there was written ā€œfor every app an update is available!ā€ so I did the upgrade and baaamm ā€œthe following 23 apps are incompatible and disabledā€. Very nice.

5 Likes

Thank you.