NC 20: Too many incompatible apps: What to do?

in terms of unexpected behaviour, just have a look whatā€™s going on with photos/album

Hi @nomad

Audio Player is available since yesterday by the way. I was busy finishing the conference video.
thank youā€¦

6 Likes

Thank you @Rello and all the other developers that are putting so many hours in!

1 Like

Because most people donā€™t use the internal updater. Depending on what OS youā€™re using, or whether youā€™re running a prepackaged version (e.g. NextcloudPi), updating doesnā€™t show any warning about incompatible apps. I use FreeBSD, and all my updating is done through ports, which tells me nothing about which NC apps will be disabled.

Combined with the NC company pushing immediate updates, thatā€™s why people proceed.

Itā€™s got nothing to do with silently upgrading, the end user can be intentionally upgrading. The issue is that Nextcloud exists in a larger ecosystem, and itā€™s putting an unnecessary burden on community developers and maintainers.

Your example shows that all apps are compatible with a minor version (i.e. 19.0.4RC1). On FreeBSD, I donā€™t get the option of going to a minor new version, Iā€™m upgraded to the next major version once itā€™s available. Your example tells me ALL apps are compatible with the new version (19.0.4), but then Iā€™m upgraded to version 20.0, breaking apps.

This is the issue people are having. Weā€™re all happy to have a rapid development pace, but itā€™s just not necessary to break compatibility with existing apps, especially ones that were working fine until yesterday.

This appears to be the most reasonable approach. Nextcloud has been WAY better at managing itā€™s updates/upgrades than ownCloud ever did, and I have far fewer issues with upgrades than I used to. But that doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be further improved!

1 Like

Great, thanks a lot!

The FreeBSD ports are not maintained by Nextcloud. Talk about that issue with the port maintainer.

I guess itā€™s possible to expose the all apps are compatible via occ. Is there already an issue on GitHub?

I didnā€™t say it was, I was explaining to somebody else why people upgrade without knowing what apps will break.

Since I only use official apps, I donā€™t tend to have problems with upgrades. However, the reason I only use official apps is because of a history of third party apps breaking with every update. Thatā€™s not ideal for a healthy open source ecosystem.

Itā€™s possible to manage updates and upgrades better than they currently are.

I question that. I for one use it and it works without problem except I get a warning and I have to activate the noncompatible apps manually from within the NC user interface.

1 Like

Well, I for one donā€™t use it.

But whatever. There are plenty of people in this very forum that also donā€™t, and have questions about disabled apps or when their upgrading goes awry.

How about I rephrase. There is a significantly large number of people that donā€™t use the internal updater.

I donā€™t think it changes my point at all. It also doesnā€™t change the fact that a lot of people unexpectedly lose apps while upgrading.

Iā€™m answering directly to the question from threadtitle:
ā€œWhat to do?ā€

Itā€™s as easy: Nobody can force you to do something you donā€™t want to doā€¦ So best you can do is: waiting.
Yes, even if NC GmbH thinks itā€™s better to update immediately. Itā€™s your own responsibilty doing it or not.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand why some of you hijack this thread with the photos app topic again. Itā€™s a completely different story. This topic was about apps that are disabled after upgrade because they are not updated yet. Gallery is not developed anymore and has been replaced by Photos which some of you (for good reasons of course) donā€™t like. But thatā€™s something to discuss at: New Photo App in Nextcloud 18.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think so. Now Iā€™m not super technical, but if you followed the conference you might have seen that we just introduced versioned APIā€™s for Javascript - my understanding is that until now, this was not guaranteed. And it will require changes in the apps to make it work, like bundling stuff JS libraries.

Hereā€™s Christoph talking about that:

So yes, maybe in the future, we can make it so that apps will keep running.

On the general outdated-apps issue.

We canā€™t indeed expect all app authors to update their apps every 4 months. That is why we did the ā€˜enable untested appā€™ button - yes, it means after a major upgrade you have to click that a few times to get the untested/un-updated apps enabled, but that isnā€™t THAT much work, 3x a yearā€¦ Enabling them automatically and potentially breaking systems seems a less than optimal solution.

With more stable APIā€™s in the future, this issue will get smaller. But honestly, if this is your biggest issue with Nextcloud, having to click the red ā€˜untested appā€™ button, I think we did a fine job :wink:

9 Likes

Thank you for this enlightening comment.
This new development (API) sounds extremely promising and exciting for future interactions.
Beyond apps, I hope it will also empower admins to use it for new use casesā€¦
It must have taken some guts to make the leap.
Considering this change I fear we might have to wait a little longer than usual to get all the available apps we hope for, before moving to production with NC20.
Iā€™ve just switched to 19.0.4 in production, and for some reason Iā€™m amazed by what seems like a big efficiency increase and responsiveness. Great. Really glad !
Canā€™t wait to move to NC20, but also very conscious and respectful of the necessary work from all the apps developers.
Thank you !

1 Like

I rolled back to 1:21:00 to see the Moodle presentation. Iā€™m blown away. Iā€™ve run a fairly undiscovered Moodle site for a couple years now and had no idea how much cool stuff was coming next! Amazing. I think I went from a appreciative user/admin to a zealot by watching that.

3 Likes