MariaDB or Postgresql

Yeah sure, but when you are running Nextcloud commercially and then reach a point where things like HA and database clusters come into play, the forum is hardly the place to discuss details anymore. I mean, you can try, but most users here don’t have experience with such large setups, so what you’ll hear is mostly guesswork and unfounded opinion, and more importantly, it won’t directly affect the decision making at Nextcloud GmbH.

However, if a large number of paying customers are asking for Postgres, it will certainly have an impact. And I’d guess that if there is the possibility to sell you a support contract for >1500 users, they will probably find some time to discuss this with you in order to find a solution on how you can operate Nextcloud together with your Postgres cluster. :wink:

And since this is all open source, there is always the possibility to take things into your own hands, by testing things yourself, improve documentation, contribute pull requests to apps that are not compatible etc…

But who knows, maybe someone from Nextcloud GmbH will chime in with an official statement…

I do not disagree with the reasoning of why even to waste Energy on opringning this on the community forum. However it is difficult to get a debate up and running and as a community help drive things in the right direction together - if it is the right direction. It is difficult to know if it is or not, if not debating it.

1 Like

I’m going to make a bold claim: I think you can use Postgres already, and with very few exceptions, such as those already mentioned in this thread, you won’t run in any incompatibilities, or at least I never heard otherwise…

But again, when it comes to the question of what needs to be done to get Postgres listed as a “recommended” database in the official docs, no one here, except of the Nextcloud GmbH itself, will be able to provide you a definitive answer.

2 Likes

That is not a bold claim. That is both verified and documented. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is for someone like me who isn’t particularly an expert when it comes to databases. :smiley:

So the basic answer to the original question here, is that: The developers are more familiar with MariaDB, and to be able to support Enterprise, the are using something that they (Nextcloud crew) themselves feel confident in supporting.

Or maybe some of the leading group are religious about MariaDB, who knows. :slight_smile:

I also do agree that PostgreSQL would be a much better move:

Unless you are getting enterprise support and the feature is working, it shouldn’t really matter what the Nextcloud company recommends. E.g. apache is the recommended webserver, however there is a strong community to support a working nginx configuration.

The missing support for some apps is a pity, I don’t know if that is really a technical problem or if that can be figured out easily (e.g. by some postgresql “enthusiasts”).

For myself, I knew mainly mariaDB/mySQL before. Thanks to your feedback, I’ll probably check out postgresql soon.