Is it better to install Nextcloud via snap or setup a web server?

Regarding docker:

1. More complicated network setup, especially if routing, firewalling and other http servers are on use on the same machine.
  2. Does not support unified cgroups (a.k.a cgroups v2).
  3. local storage set up, including backup might be more difficult.

I was thinking of the dependencies docker and toolings pull in - not the ones that are moved into the container.

and after that you can apply one of the scripts around.

examples:

same nightmare without docker. but yes. knowledge is an advandage if thinks go wrong. or ask here in the forum. :wink:

We can agree to disagree. You are obviously passionate about your approach and put a lot of work into the guide and I do appreciate the defenses against the criticisms.

Haven’t changed my mind, that given the information the OP has provided, on average guzzisti’s followed by own are better paths to start with. But hey maybe you’ve pushed me to try it for myself (even in prod :wink:).

I tried the snap install myself at first and was almost immediately put off that there was no way to add SMB support, so I tried a manual installation. I don’t use SMB at home but I was also trying out Nextcloud potentially for my clients at the time and lack of SMB support was a non-starter for snap. The Docker version doesn’t include SMB support either but they have a Dockerfile you can download that adds it to the image automatically.

My next hurdle was no matter what I did I could not get Collabora to work. At the time I could only find documentation for running it in Docker, so I was already having to figure Docker out at this point even before putting NC in it.

After messing with it for maybe a couple days I decided to try putting the whole setup in Docker to see if that would help. Still took a while to get the kinks worked out of Collabora but I got everything working. The compose file makes the setup very easy to reproduce. You can literally copy and paste it, change names and passwords, and flip the on switch, and the whole thing comes up (minus the reverse proxy and LE). That makes it really easy to reproduce on other networks which I’ve done several times now.

Been running like a champ ever since and haven’t looked back. I even have Kodi stream movies over WebDAV from it in the house.